PIN PILE

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldgoldman

Sampling of fully plated pin types. Ages range from 15 to 30 years.

IBM, AMP, Allen Bradley, Diablo Systems, JAE etc

Attachments

• PIN PILE.jpg
    PIN PILE.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,658
oldgoldman said:
Sampling of fully plated pin types. Ages range from 15 to 30 years.

IBM, AMP, Allen Bradley, Diablo Systems, JAE etc

Nice bunch of pins. I'm currently processing a few pounds of similar pins - including some Pogo test station pins that have (ferrous) springs inside the body. I'm processing them in kind of an unconventional manner - so I would be very interested in reading about your method and yield (grams/pound). Also - assuming you are processing them yourself - are you looking to recover other PMs - silver, etc. as well as gold?

Funny, it looks like a cash drawer from a cash register! Money in the bank!!

Are those :lol: some old IBM jumpers up in the top right corner?

Here are the known IBM pin types. May be more in the bone pile .. and yes it is a NCR cash register drawer ..

Was supposed to be for Monopoly Game money .. now it's the real money drawer :)

Attachments

• IBM CONNECTOR TYPES.jpg
    IBM CONNECTOR TYPES.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,492
oldgoldman :

In your last picture, the pile of pins on the left.
I have some of those same pins and always wondered what the little silver colored pegs consisted of.

I haven't had a chance to test them yet, and not even sure what I did with them now.
The fact that they would go to all the effort to crimp that little peg into the connector like that told me they mite need a better look.

Any idea as to what that peg consist of ? I don't even remember how it was utilized or I mite already know the answer to this.

Any PM's ?

Thanks

Ray

Sodbuster .. I apologize I can not answer your question for sure. I think they are from some IBM Tag pieces.

Below is today's addition to the Pin Pile.

Arbor press made quick work of some Mil Spec connectors I've been pursuing for six months and finally got my hands on. About 1/3 lb below.

Attachments

• MIL SPEC PINS.jpg
    MIL SPEC PINS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,404
Sodbuster said:
oldgoldman :

In your last picture, the pile of pins on the left.
I have some of those same pins and always wondered what the little silver colored pegs consisted of.

I haven't had a chance to test them yet, and not even sure what I did with them now.
The fact that they would go to all the effort to crimp that little peg into the connector like that told me they mite need a better look.

Any idea as to what that peg consist of ? I don't even remember how it was utilized or I mite already know the answer to this.

Any PM's ?

Thanks

Ray

The silver-colored parts of the pins on selectively-plated or assembled gold pins are usually nickel or tin plated. The silver-colored part is left unplated (with gold) to save money, when that part of the pin is just going to be soldered anyway. I have found a very few older pins that had silver plating on them - but they were easily identifiable from the patina on the silver.

Thanks for your replies guys, but know that the pins in question are a two part construction and not a selective plating.

I'm going to attempt to upload a picture.

That silver collered wire crimped into the other half of the connector pin is right at 1/2" in length and maybe 18-20 gage. Both ends look to be rounded over and not clipped.
The only testing for me at this point was to shave into it with a sharp blade and find that it was the same throughout and not plated.
It kind of reminds me of that little wiper peg that you may have seen in an old wire wound ceramic rheostat.

Proper testing will tell. I was just hoping that someone had dealt with this type of connector pin before.

Ray

Attachments

• 2 part pin.jpg
    2 part pin.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,351
I believe that these are Palladium plated just like the old IBM backplanes. But a test never hurts.

Most likely Kovar, a common connector/pin material. A review of some old Switchcraft, Amphenol, Abbatron, or other connector catalog might yield some answers. I'm at home, and my library of connector catalogs is not handy.

Cheers,
Brian

oldgoldman :

I just have a question, do you separate all the pins that you get into certain piles to make it easier to process? For me I have been putting them all together into a glass jar.

Blacklung

Blacklung.

Pin collection is relatively new to me. If I can relatively easily get 1 lb or more of the exact same pin, I'll keep them separate... otherwise they go into the bone pile of mixed types.

All the Mil Spec stuff I keep separate, regardless of quantity.

Clearly having homogenous lots helps all involved determine more precise yields. My goal is always to minimize variation out of the distinct lots to be refined.

I have be separting my pins by if they have solder or them or not. So when it comes time refine them I can practice on the unclean ones first. I don't know if this will make a lot of difference in the yeilds.

If you are planning on refining your pins yourself, there's really no reason to keep the different types seperate UNLESS you want to get yield data on the types. I just throw all mine together as some day I will have them refined as a lot.

Here are some funky pins from a 1976 Modicon Corp ( Andover, MA ) telecom board.

Attachments

• 1976 MODICON PINS.jpg
    1976 MODICON PINS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,108
Thank you NIVRNB. Another one for you.

1979 GE PROM board .. big pin, little pin, big pin, little pin .. oooh and 10 gold leg white ceramic proms as bonus.

Attachments

• 1979 GE PROM BOARD.jpg
    1979 GE PROM BOARD.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 992
oldgoldman said:
Thank you NIVRNB. Another one for you.

1979 GE PROM board .. big pin, little pin, big pin, little pin .. oooh and 10 gold leg white ceramic proms as bonus.

That looks like one of the Mark Century 550 boards I referred to in another thread recently talking about Nixie tubes. I originally had 300 or so similar boards and have been lucky enough to find a few other board lots for sale since then that use those same type of pronged plate contacts. The chips on my boards were all over-stamped with generic house numbers. So for example the SN7472N IC's are all stamped with a number "319.5" and the the SN74H00N IC's are all stamped with a number "318.4". A lot of those ordinary looking gray or black plastic chips of that vintage contain a bit of gold plating inside too, not just the ceramic chips. Usually the middle portion of the metal substrate strip under where the die is mounted, and also the inner tips of the leads where they are joined to the die. It's not a lot but should add up with enough chips. The Texas Instruments brand chips are the least likely to have any gold inside but some will. Some of the IC's have also developed jet black pins with black material flaking off of them, indicating silver content.

macfixer01

Back