Weird part with lots of gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscrap

So I realized I had lost 3 CPUs, and while looking for them I stumbled upon this in an unsorted bin of scrap.
If you have any idea what it is, please help.

21czfbs.jpg

2ccr0rc.jpg

Looking at the pen cap, it looks too small to be a DLP chip. I would say it could be the image chip out of a digital camcorder.

I just Googled the part number, I guess it is a DLP chip, my mistake.

I have found some nice ceramic chips in older video cameras.

Dynamic is currently paying $30 per lb for DLPs - they are the only company I am aware of that has a price listed for DLPs in their processor price listing

Kurt

Here is one you may never see elsewhere. This is one of the three DLP chips from a cinema projector light engine, and it's a 2K chip (2048x1024 resolution). The latest generation are 4K or 4096x2048 resolution. The size of the 4K chip's mirrored surface really isn't very much larger, the individual pixels are just smaller.

macfixer01

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,206
mscrap said:
goldsilverpro said:
Alentia said:
NoIdea said:
Alentia said:
This chip is not even worth processing, yield is way too low.

Sorry, butt we are recovering gold, even a single pin is worth it.

Deano

But, there are none... so it is not :shock:
I've never seen one of those, but, what is that yellow stuff?

The yellow stuff is gold
That's surely what it looks like, especially those little dots - they're probably thick if they're contact points. The lid looks gold also but there are other things it could be. The dots seem to cover about 1/2 of that particular area of the part. The lid, if gold plated, is thinner, maybe a lot thinner.

Show us what's inside? How much does 1 part weigh? What's its dimensions? Is the lid magnetic?

Good photos, by the way.

it also has bonding wires much like a processor chip. from my understanding, the bonding wires are gold.

Bonding wires & Au plating (as pointed out by others) & maybe the braze between window lid & ceramic

These are a new item on Dynamic's CPU price list ($30/lb) --- I would have to assume they had an assay done on them to come up with a payable price added to their CPU pricing --- so recovery is going to be a little over the $30 they are paying

Kurt

goldsilverpro said:
mscrap said:
goldsilverpro said:
Alentia said:
NoIdea said:
Alentia said:
This chip is not even worth processing, yield is way too low.

Sorry, butt we are recovering gold, even a single pin is worth it.

Deano

But, there are none... so it is not :shock:
I've never seen one of those, but, what is that yellow stuff?

The yellow stuff is gold
That's surely what it looks like, especially those little dots - they're probably thick if they're contact points. The lid looks gold also but there are other things it could be. The dots seem to cover about 1/2 of that particular area of the part. The lid, if gold plated, is thinner, maybe a lot thinner.

Show us what's inside? How much does 1 part weigh? What's its dimensions? Is the lid magnetic?

Good photos, by the way.

Okay, later today I will pop it open and weigh stuff for you :lol:

This thing weight about 40gr as I remember correctly. There are little or none bonding wires inside. Plating is very thin both on top and pins. It yields around or less of P4 processor. Top base as I remember correctly looks and feels like tungsten copper alloy.

Back