need help with info on scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myfalconry76

Was wondering if anyone could lend some information about these boards and their components and what pm may be present? Thank you.
Derek

I'm really interested in the little colored resistors or compasaters or what ever they are and of course the black chips?
Thank Ya thank Ya Thank Ya

myfalconry76 said:
I'm really interested in the little colored resistors or compasaters or what ever they are and of course the black chips?

Which colored resistors?

I believe i read that the rainbow colored (not exactly rainbow..) are tantalum capacitors, but i cant really tell from the picture.

Im sure most have markings by them, I.E. r01, r02, c11,c12
R is resistor, c is capacitor. There are a bunch of different other markings as well for transistors, quartz clocks, pretty much everything.

Its hard to tell what would be "worth" processing to you, but, i know i would certainly save all of the DIP packages, and all of the rainbow caps.

Ill see if i can find the website I was reading about all of the markings.

Hope this helps

Topher_osAUrus said:
myfalconry76 said:

Which colored resistors?

I believe i read that the rainbow colored (not exactly rainbow..) are tantalum capacitors, but i cant really tell from the picture.

Im sure most have markings by them, I.E. r01, r02, c11,c12
R is resistor, c is capacitor. There are a bunch of different other markings as well for transistors, quartz clocks, pretty much everything.

Its hard to tell what would be "worth" processing to you, but, i know i would certainly save all of the DIP packages, and all of the rainbow caps.

Ill see if i can find the website I was reading about all of the markings.

Hope this helps
Nothing is marked on the board and I didn't really look to see if they were marked on the package. I will check though! Thank you for the reply. I do know that all the boards say they are made in 1981. Would there be a difference in these compacitors in design vrs the mlcc?

The boards are a bit of a turkey shoot with regards to what will be there. The information below is based upon the materials I have found in similar boards but isn't guaranteed as the pictures are grainy and boards are all different by design:

The "legged" chips are most likely to contain Gold and Silver. Palladium is possible as is Platinum in some few cases. You appear to have some Tantalum caps but again the pic is grainy so I cannot be sure. Some of the tracings on the boards- the exposed ones with no solder mask may either be lead/tin/silver or in some rarer cases they actually contain Platinum. The Platinum bearing traces are a dull darker gray.

The majority of the tubular components are exactly as they seem i.e. Resistors, but scattered amongst them are some pm bearing components such as the silver looking high hats.

As I said, a bit of a lottery, however I hope this helps.

myfalconry76 said:
Nothing is marked on the board and I didn't really look to see if they were marked on the package. I will check though! Thank you for the reply. I do know that all the boards say they are made in 1981. Would there be a difference in these compacitors in design vrs the mlcc?

Now THAT is the million dollar question isn't it? :lol:

Honestly, I have not the faintest idea. There may be sites that have their datasheets available still, as some older components still have many uses for people that rebuild old electronics, and sometimes the composition of the resistors or caps is needed to be known. So some old datasheets can be/are floating around the interwebs still.

But, sometimes (most always) testing the material yourself is in your best interest, that way the information can come straight from the horses mouth, and the next time you come across the boards for free, purchase, or toll, you will have insight that may not be well known.

anachronism said:
The Platinum bearing traces are a dull darker gray.......

As I said, a bit of a lottery, however I hope this helps.

That is a bit worth keeping in mind.

anachronism said:
Some of the tracings on the boards- the exposed ones with no solder mask may either be lead/tin/silver or in some rarer cases they actually contain Platinum. The Platinum bearing traces are a dull darker gray.
Have you ever seen platinum plated traces on a regular board? Where have you found palladium traces?

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Have you ever seen platinum plated traces on a regular board? Where have you found palladium traces?

Göran

I can't speak for "traces", but, it seems those old hammond organs have Pd wire's and contact points unlike nothing else i have read about to date.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=164&p=7547&hilit=hammond+organ#p7547

I almost picked one up the other day for free, but I didnt want to get there and realise that it wouldnt fit in my suv.
After reading more about them, I think next time ill just tie it on the roof of the honda, or drag it behind the suv.. (kidding... Kind of)

g_axelsson said:
anachronism said:
Some of the tracings on the boards- the exposed ones with no solder mask may either be lead/tin/silver or in some rarer cases they actually contain Platinum. The Platinum bearing traces are a dull darker gray.

Göran

Yes I've seen traces that contain Platinum both in telecoms and military equipment. Granted it's not a common occurrence but then again some of the boards shown on this thread are not common regular boards.

Here you go Goran. This board contains traces of Pt in the tracks.

Attachments

• Pt trace in tracks.jpg
    Pt trace in tracks.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 736
I would have taken it for an ordinary old card without any values on the card. How much platinum is it? Does it produce foils if you dissolve the copper? Did you use XRF to detect it or how did you test it?

When you talked about platinum on traces I thought it was as thick film traces on alumina substrates. In this application I can't see what it would offer in function to justify plating the traces.
Platinum compounds are sometimes used as an accelerator for curing plastic or maybe treating the surface of the board to get the copper conductor to adhere better.

According to the date code of the IC:s, that board is from around 1971 and it is populated with military grade temperature scale IS:s. Not a very common board. :)

Göran

After seeing that board with Pt traces, it made me wonder about this board I have. It had some t05's on it, which have been removed. But, yeah... Interesting.0811161342.jpg

This makes me wonder about some of the older boards I have. The lighting is bad, but the solder looks the same dull darker grey as in anachronism's post.

I probably have around 80 lbs of these and Wesco boards (no components), some of them have the green mask and "had" gold fingers.

IMG_0621.JPGIMG_0619.JPG

anachronism said:
Here you go Goran. This board contains traces of Pt in the tracks.

Pt traces, of course, and the connector contacts/pins are Pt alloy(or maybe, even platinum .999 :) )

teclu

I suspect that the traces are covered by solder contaminated with platinum after soldering components with platinum plated pins.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I suspect that the traces are covered by solder contaminated with platinum after soldering components with platinum plated pins.

Göran

Goran I'm going to take your lead on this one and look further. My results were based upon xrf readings and solution tests BUT the observation you made has validity and needs looking into deeper. This is going to be fun and take a while. Bear with me ok?

Back