Any PMs or Tantalum in these?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grelko

Anyone happen to know if any of these might contain Au, Ag, Pt, Pd, or Ta?

You can just say which PM, or if it's "junk"

I'll be clipping the legs for scrap copper before processing anything.

I have a few pounds of each if that makes anything more worthwhile to process.

IMG_0814.JPG

Left side, besides the small amount of gold plating/braze in the lid, is the core tantalum? Right side, Ta core?
IMG_0815.JPG

Ta cores in these? It seems to be attached to a small circuit.
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG

I'm not sure what the top one is, but there's a hole through the middle.
IMG_0819.JPG

Trimpots, possible silver? I have a few with gold plated legs.

IMG_0818.JPG

(Very top, first picture, bottom left "diode?" not shown, but has silver plated legs. I forgot to take a close up of it)

Anything that says Ohm, on it or has a symbol that looks like headphones, is a resistor. The only PM's found in resistors are Thin Film resistors. A type of surface mount Resistor that contains Ruthenium Oxide.

Ruthenium is dangerous and toxic to refine for the home refiner, and I don't know a single person on here that will touch it. Better to bulk them up and resell them to large refiners.

Most of the stuff you have has copper in it, but not enough to be worth scrapping. Your best be would be to take anything that has long and clean legs and resell them in lots.

The larger canister style appear to be diodes and maybe even a transistor. Many times the larger transistors have two gold (sometimes aluminum) bonding wires that connect the leads to the silicon wafer. However, since the components appear to be unused, they would more than likely be worth much more than the very very small amount of gold that might be present in them. You would also have to destroy the transistor just to see if it did have gold bonding wires. If it turned out to be Al, then that would be a double bummer.

gcdrummer02 said:
Anything that says Ohm, on it or has a symbol that looks like headphones, is a resistor. The only PM's found in resistors are Thin Film resistors. A type of surface mount Resistor that contains Ruthenium Oxide.

Ruthenium is dangerous and toxic to refine for the home refiner, and I don't know a single person on here that will touch it. Better to bulk them up and resell them to large refiners.

Most of the stuff you have has copper in it, but not enough to be worth scrapping. Your best be would be to take anything that has long and clean legs and resell them in lots.

Thanks for the information and warning. I noticed a couple different types have a symbol like -/\/\-E ,But have no idea which these are.

They're all un-used (new old stock) but when I was new here, I opened everything and tossed them into two large boxes for some unknown reason :roll:

I don't use ebay or have paypal, so I was pretty much going to clip the legs for scrap copper and toss the rest in with my brown boards.

Unless someone on here wants them. I'd sell them as a "lot" but have no idea what they're worth.

I know about the SMD resistors, I'm slowly saving those and MLCCs up to sell on here or to a refinery after I get a couple kg.

If I clipped all the legs, I'd probably have a good 20-30 pounds of copper. You can see the two boxes in this thread. I have most of them sorted by type and color finally, but not by size. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=24869&p=263733#p263733

geedigity said:
since the components appear to be unused, they would more than likely be worth much more than the very very small amount of gold that might be present in them.

They're all un-used, so I'd rather sell them if possible. I'm sure someone out there could do something with them.

Edit - I only have a pound or two of the metal transistor types. The rest of them is pictures 4 and 5.

On bottom of picture, these are resistors.
Copper, tin, iron. Carbon or ceramic inside don't know what ceramics are.
Tined copper legs, in a cap, cap rusts on air when paint scratched off.
Might be alloy of something with iron.
Describing these from bottom of last picture.

They'll go for price of ore.

Romix said:
On bottom of picture, these are resistors.
Copper, tin, iron. Carbon or ceramic inside don't know what ceramics are.
Tined copper legs, in a cap, cap rusts on air when paint scratched off.
Might be alloy of something with iron.
Describing these from bottom of last picture.

They'll go for price of ore.

Picture 1 bottom, I think the red with end caps is actually a fuse.

The smaller blue and black boxes are non-magnetic even using a Neodynium magnet.

Almost nothing is magnetic "regular magnet"

Theres a good bit that'll stick to a "hard drive" magnet.

The rest are non-magnetic "seems like tin over copper, maybe silver. I haven't tested every type yet". I'd have to sort through them again to see which is which.

Most, if not all of them, "should" be from the late 60s - early 80s, since my parents and uncle built circuit boards between that time period.

Edit - Which type of ore? I have no idea what that's worth.

Back