What is this component, should I keep them?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worms4u

I apologize for not having a picture, but I'll describe it as best I can.

They are black and usually thick, Thicker than IC's. They are usually stuck on a PCB VERY well, like they can be difficult removing with an air hammer. They have thicker leads going into it from one side. When I split them open the base is copper with a roughly rectangular silvery material in the center of the copper pad. The silvery material reaches into the cap. The leads go into the cap, and I assume connect to whatever the silvery material is.

Are these some kind of capaciter, like tantalum? Are they worth keeping?

Thanks
Worms

You probably mean SMD transistors or IC TO220 packages and similar.
Some of them do have 2-3 gold bonding wires inside. Low yield material due to gold/weight ratio.

Worms, if you tell us some of the writing on the side or top of the component we would probably have a better idea.

Edit - Yes, Pat is correct, sounds like a surface mount transistor.

Worms4u said:
I apologize for not having a picture, but I'll describe it as best I can.

They are black and usually thick, Thicker than IC's. They are usually stuck on a PCB VERY well, like they can be difficult removing with an air hammer. They have thicker leads going into it from one side. When I split them open the base is copper with a roughly rectangular silvery material in the center of the copper pad. The silvery material reaches into the cap. The leads go into the cap, and I assume connect to whatever the silvery material is.

Are these some kind of capaciter, like tantalum? Are they worth keeping?

Thanks
Worms
They're MOFSET type transistors. So I keep them as they're a good copper source for collector metal and they do sometimes have PGM traces and usually have bonding wires

Back