Is this connectors or port gold plated?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtechedo

Just imagining what this type of metal would be... I just took a snap to show on this forum and if anybody have process this before, please, help write on this to clear any further doubts if this laptop batteries port or connector would contain anything good.. thanks and God bless you all..

Attachments

• 20170620_090012.jpg
    20170620_090012.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 231
  • 20170620_090021.jpg
    20170620_090021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
Yes, those are gold plated. But don't get to excited, it's very thin plating and you'll need lots and lots of them to make an ounce. :G

silversaddle1 said:
Yes, those are gold plated. But don't get to excited, it's very thin plating and you'll need lots and lots of them to make an ounce. :G

Thanks Silveraddle1, really nice to hear this. And I am not too excited but what do you think I can get (gold in grams) from say 1kg of these type of gold plated...

realtechedo said:
Thanks Silveraddle1, really nice to hear this. And I am not too excited but what do you think I can get (gold in grams) from say 1kg of these type of gold plated...

Probably not a lot, or as much as you would think.

Its more about the surface area of the plating, and the overall volume of the pieces.

With those, there is a great deal of base metal compared to the thin gold plating. In GSP's book, he says for 40microinch plating, it takes about 17 or 17.5 square feet of surface area to get a troy ounce of gold.

I think most plating is thinner than 40microinches though. So, the amount needed for an ounce of gold goes up exponentially.

Back