27 pounds. For you number guys

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silversaddle1

Just so you know, you can fit 27 pounds of gold fingers in a large flat rate box. Now you could fit more if you stacked them real nice, but who does that.

Attachments

• 71d.png
    71d.png
    493 KB · Views: 504
  • goldfinger.JPG
    goldfinger.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 504
Let's see..... If I am seeing the picture correctly most, if not all, of those fingers are of the slot card variety. I get about a pound/year of that type so might take me awhile :shock: Thanks for the encouragement however.

There is every type of finger produced for the last 40 years in that box. It takes me about a year to fill one up on average. I wonder how many tons of boards it takes to fill a box..... The world may never know! :lol:

Didn't sell them on Ebay.

Beautiful cuffs. Did you make new dies from the old stampings, or did you have the dies already?

snoman701 said:
Didn't sell them on Ebay.

Beautiful cuffs. Did you make new dies from the old stampings, or did you have the dies already?

The silver was stamped out on the original steel dies that were made in the 50's. Thanks for asking!

As far as the fingers. No, they are going into the stash for now. And yes, I shook them, pounded on them, and shook them some more to get the 27#. The other boxes only have around 24# in them.

jason_recliner said:
silversaddle1 said:
The other boxes only have around 24# in them.
:shock:

Jason he does handle tons of scrap annually if not monthly which is why when silversaddle or anachronism and a few select others advise to sell or refine I tend to listen, they have seen nearly everything we are likely to encounter in e scrap.

G'day Nick. Long time no speak.
I know he does, and I don't disagree in the slightest. He also said it takes a year to fill one, then only afterwards pointed out that there are [an undisclosed number] more. Now I wonder just how many boxes there are. :lol:

Pension fund I guess Jason, he views the easily recovered high yield scrap as a bonus and makes his money trading and refining the rest, similar to the stock pot for others.
We used to get 100s of kilos of fingers at a time many years ago when one of our customers was taking a lot of scrap from the Scottish manufacturers of computer components, all gone now, it was moved to Eastern Europe due to cheaper labour :shock:

Yes, tons a month. It's all we can do some months to keep up. We sell everything except the processors, memory, gold fingers, gold pins and HDD control boards. All those we save back untill we can get a better price for them. You can sure bargin better if you have 1000 pounds of gold memory Vs. 3 pounds! :)

Yes, I did say boxes!

anachronism said:
snoman701 said:
How do you get rid of hard drives after stripping the boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sell them for $850 per tonne.
That's not bad....are they just shredded really well then separated into aluminum/stainless/etc?

snoman701 said:
anachronism said:
snoman701 said:
How do you get rid of hard drives after stripping the boards?

Sell them for $850 per tonne.
That's not bad....are they just shredded really well then separated into aluminum/stainless/etc?

nah, complete.

Our local scrap yard buys them as old sheet/cast aluminum @ around .53 cents a pound. We do crush them to an extent before delivering them. Last round we took in two gaylords full and we have already crushed enough to fill another one. We've been busy! :eek:

Our shop is a level 3 disaster right now. We hardly have room to work, and the warehouse (horse barn :lol: ) is full too. I should post a pic.

Back