Who can determine density and metal composition?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cals400ex

I'm looking to find the density and metal composition (materials included and the percentages of each) in a metal alloy. I'm assuming it has steel, tungsten, and iron, but it may have other materials too. Where can I send samples to so this can be determined?

http://www5.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/alloys.htm (and many other options) Look for most similar material to what you have

How frequent is the need for analysis?

Do you need a lab that is ISO approved, or just need accurate results?

Is this testing for process control or reverse engineering?

What is the purpose of the testing?

Are you able to share what the material is used for?

This would be a one-time thing. I just need accurate results. This is not for process control or engineering. The material is "shot" inside of a shotgun shell. And it might be too expensive for what this is worth. I have no idea....

Caliber, size, and color of the shell, combined with all lettering on the body and base of the shell can be sent to the manufacturer. From this, many can tell you the composition of the shot.

There are over 100 combinations of alloys and platings used in shot for shells today.

Time for more coffee.

galenrog said:
Caliber, size, and color of the shell, combined with all lettering on the body and base of the shell can be sent to the manufacturer. From this, many can tell you the composition of the shot.

There are over 100 combinations of alloys and platings used in shot for shells today.

Time for more coffee.

The manufacturer isn't releasing this information at this time....Which makes me want to not use their shells for not being upfront. But if they pattern well out of my gun, I might.

Use displacement of water to determine density. A simple farm store syringe (6 mL) can serve as a graduated cylinder and a gold buying scale will differentiate between steel and tungsten.

Google density by displacement of water

If you have the original container, likely a box, many will list the primary metal used for the shot.

All metals use in shot shells are toxic to some small degree. Which metals are your concern, and why?

The shells are Environ Metal Hevi X Tungsten. I'm looking at the 12 gauge, 3", BB shot size, 1 1/4 oz. On the box in four different areas it says "25 steel waterfowl shotshells." To make things more deceiving, the manufacturer has placed a sticker over all four of these areas that says "25 waterfowl shotshells." I'm assuming this is to cover up the word "steel" on the box. Hevishot has been known to be questionable, at best, with their marketing. Thus, I'm suspicious.

My main goal is to determine the density to see how it compares to other steel, lead, and tungsten shot.

Some things I have found say 90% tungsten and polymers.

HEVI-X starts in tungsten powder form, mixed with polymers, each pellet is compressed weighing 9.7 gram/cc just under the weight of lead at 1450 fps expect lead like results, 50% more energy than straight steel.

From these pages;
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=459367

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=459367&sid=20be80e944561ee57311115bd9877c6b&start=20

You should be able to check with a magnet for iron, steel, or nickel in it.
If it is just tungsten and polymers the magnet should not affect the pellets.

Sounds to me like a supplier mislabeled a batch of boxes, which required stickers to correct the mistake. There are other possibilities, but the simplest explanation is usually correct.

To be certain, follow Jimdoc’s advice. Steel shot is easily attracted to a common magnet. Tungsten is weakly attracted to a common magnet. Very weakly.

Another thought. Many shooters are very serious people who understand how various ammunition behaves in different circumstances. An ammunition manufacturer who knowingly sells mislabeled products will harm their reputation very quickly. A ruined reputation can destroy a company.

Past time for more coffee.

Back