Interesting Telco switches

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorycloud

I picked up some gear from a Telco and these two switches were in the lot.
The reeds themselves are not magnetic but there is a miniscule contact
point on some of the reeds that is magnetic. Way too small for me to get
a good picture of with my cell phone.

Telco switches.jpg
Telco switches close up.jpg

Anyone familiar with switches like these? Are those tiny magnetic contact
points PM of some sort?

T H A N K S ! ! !

Yeah, I am. I took a ton of those apart once and one of the members here on the forum bought all those reeds from me. Turned out they were nothing. I don't know how you could search out the post, but it was on here.

Found it for you.

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8538&p=79637&hilit=reeds#p79637

They are tiny bits of silver. Most likely out of a phone exchange rack. I had some, ended up not being worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resembles the old step by step. Some may have silver contacts and some may have palladium contacts. I have seen gold contacts as well, but on older switches.

silversaddle1 said:
Yeah, I am. I took a ton of those apart once and one of the members here on the forum bought all those reeds from me. Turned out they were nothing. I don't know how you could search out the post, but it was on here.

Well you were very trusting there.

There's a visual way to identify the material on each contact without chemically testing them.

anachronism said:
silversaddle1 said:

Well you were very trusting there.

There's a visual way to identify the material on each contact without chemically testing them.

You put that out there like the teaser at the end of the season finale.

So? What's the visual way?

Not a chance in hell. Let someone else throw that one out there with pleasure but for all the treatment and crap I get on here I think I already share more than enough.

Anyone else wanna share that one? Feel free.

anachronism said:
Not a chance in hell. Let someone else throw that one out there with pleasure but for all the treatment and crap I get on here I think I already share more than enough.

Anyone else wanna share that one? Feel free.

Hey, I haven't given you crap in ages...or at least days.

Are there contacts like this that are an Ag/Pd alloy?

Am I missing something here? Are you calling the plug panels for reeds?

As far as I know, reed relays or reed switches are two thin metal blades enclosed in a glass tube and switched with a magnet or a magnetic field from a coil wound around the switch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_relay

Göran

anachronism said:
Let someone else throw that one out there

I'll take a stab at it. I may or may not be right but...

I plucked an ounce worth of Pd contacts from older reed relays not long ago. I noticed that the Pd contacts weren't burned like the silver ones of similar construction. They were more worn down and there were many that had a blue tint to them from the heat.

Am I close?

I'm very familiar with these. They're called DSX (or more specifically DSX-1) patch panels. They were used to connect two copper T1 circuits together. Basically the old voice switches would all be wired to these patch panels and they would be a copper cross-connect where you could connect it over to another piece of equipment and it would also be a test point in the middle.
Not much in the way of PM's to my knowledge. It was just for electrical connectivity between the incoming and outgoing copper lines.
Here's the patch cord that would make the cross-connect between two ports on the front.
http://www.telexpressinc.com/pcat_lvl3_0.aspx?index=00125973
Hope this helps.

If you're looking for a spec sheet, the one you have was called an ABC panel in the industry because they had the removable modules on the front. The modules were labeled A, B and C by the manufacturer. Pretty sure the manufacturer was ADC Telecommunications.. they went under during the Fiber transition about a decade ago I think.

Back