Found some very nice chips, have a look!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archeonist

Found these chips wich I think I won't scrap. Maybe somebody could help me in identifying them?

A few of them do have a white substrate, I don't like white substrates :evil:, could be BeO I suppose..? The person broke some of the chips of the white substrate so I'll leave these in the bag. But for the rest, a very nice score :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 553
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 552
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 552
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 553
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 553

Attachments

• DSC_0360.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 632
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 549
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 549
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 549
Nice lot!

The large white J11 CPU, sell it. Don't worry about beryllia, it's built on an alumina ceramic substrate. Too bad the second one was broken. I got two in my large lot two years ago. I gave one to a friend and the second I kept, the only one out of 3000 CPU:s that I decided to keep. :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-DEC-J-11-DCJ11-AC-rare-collectible-CPU/263414958419?hash=item3d54c14953:g:iVYAAOSwJHFZ3cId

Same for the CPU with socket on the back, a so called "piggyback" CPU, it had place to put an eprom with the program on top. Used in development of a system but rarely in production units so it's quite rare.

I think the blue boards could also be worth selling to collectors.

I could probably pick out some other chips too, but then I would need more detailed specs on model numbers.

Göran

Nice find. Did you score all those from a collector who decided not to collect anymore? The greatest amout of ceramics I have ever found in one haul is four, and I thought that was good!

good morning

so odd question I'm new to this and learning and I hope this is the right place to ask this but why would you collect chips or other components other than shiny syndrome lol cause I've already found things that I was like that's worthless but really cool the wife is like why keep that as I'm going my prescious :lol:

mellokatattack said:
good morning

so odd question I'm new to this and learning and I hope this is the right place to ask this but why would you collect chips or other components other than shiny syndrome lol cause I've already found things that I was like that's worthless but really cool the wife is like why keep that as I'm going my prescious :lol:
Your post is just impossible to read. I hope that you do not wonder why :D

There are collectors of all different kind of stuff. Buttons, easter bunnies, stamps, coins, toys, dolls, cameras, weapons, wine bottles, ... and so on. CPU:s are just one more area where there are people collecting stuff.

Göran

Goran, thx for your comment, here are some more pics of cpu's I've never seen..

Attachments

• DSC_0396.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 559
  • DSC_0395.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 559
  • DSC_0394.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 559
  • DSC_0393.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 559
The last one, 387, is a math co-processor for a 386 CPU. I think most of them can fetch a better price than gold spot.

The other ones I'll have to ask a friend about.

Göran

they look handmade i thought for a minute predating the 4004 but is it more than likely that period in the 70s 72-75 where companies had a mad rush designing their own prototypes to try take a piece of the expanding demand? im no expert, far from it.
im just sorting my own cpu er collection out now, it started out i kept the odd old ones id not seen before and i soon accumulated several kilos in less than six months im more of a hoarder than collector i think.

Good morning.

So odd question. I'm new to this and learning. I hope this is the right place to ask this, but why would you collect chips or other components other than shiny syndrome? lol. Because I've already found things that I was like "that's worthless but really cool!". The wife is like "why keep that?" As I'm going "my prescious!!" :lol:

There, not it won't make your brain hurt to read it. :lol:

Well it IS shiny syndrome. Some people collect guns, others collect stamps, others collect chips. 8) 8)

anachronism said:
Well it IS shiny syndrome. Some people collect guns, others collect stamps, others collect chips. 8) 8)
I don't even think it's the shiny for me.

I have a stupid desire to collect core memory. It's something about the history.

I have a Nixie tube arrangement out of a frequency counter. The Nixie tubes were made 50 miles from my house. I want to make it in to a clock. There's just something stupid cool about the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silversaddle1 said:
Good morning.

So odd question. I'm new to this and learning. I hope this is the right place to ask this, but why would you collect chips or other components other than shiny syndrome? lol. Because I've already found things that I was like "that's worthless but really cool!". The wife is like "why keep that?" As I'm going "my prescious!!" :lol:

There, not it won't make your brain hurt to read it. :lol:

sorry sometimes typing on this phone makes things look one way then another after it's posted, I'm also no language scholar lmao .
I'm neck deep in old late 90's to mid 2000 cellphones and have reminisced about ones I had when they first came out, but the wife is like no scrap lol I've also found some military connections I'm going to post a pic of I might keep. I guess that's part of learning all this I still don't know what's what, but you guys are a huge resource of information
thank you

Hi

I run PDP-11 computers at home for fun. A J11 could be useful as a spare. I've never seen one break so I would rather have it as a display case outside the running machines :)

So, if the price is reasonable I might take it off your hands :)

/P

Let me introduce Pontus. He is an old friend of mine, a computer collector I've known for several years. I can personally vouch for him in any deals. I asked him about the blue multi-chip module as he knows these chips and modules better than me. I also gave him a tip about this thread.

Welcome to the goldrefiningforum, Pontus. Don't cry too much when you see what we do to those poor chips. :lol:

Göran

I have to admit, when I saw another member from Sweden who likes to "run PDP-11 computers at home for fun", I thought of you Göran. :)

Welcome to the forum Pontus!

Dave

g_axelsson said:
Let me introduce Pontus. He is an old friend of mine, a computer collector I've known for several years. I can personally vouch for him in any deals. I asked him about the blue multi-chip module as he knows these chips and modules better than me. I also gave him a tip about this thread.

Welcome to the goldrefiningforum, Pontus. Don't cry too much when you see what we do to those poor chips. :lol:

Göran

Another longship has landed! :shock:

Break out the mead! :D

James

Back