What do I do with vintage stuff

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katcher

In one box today I was sorting I found an old Commodore external FLOPPY drive (the "VIC-1541")... Im not entirely savvy on where vintage electronics go to die... but dont necessarily want to rip it apart if I can get better money from a collector.

How does one go about dealing with vintage items? Thanks for the input ahead of time- I appreciate the help.

Pics when I can figure out how to get them on a site for free- any guidance there is appreciated too!

First thing to do is look for it on Ebay, and see what people are asking for it, and more importantly what people are bidding for it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=VIC-1541&_sacat=0

Thank you for the search link!

I had hit the e-Bay listings but there are a LOT of these things out there I would guess by the listings- and many seem like re-postings. Guess its not moving like hotcakes

My apologies for posting in a hurry- for the original post- I didnt clarify I had already looked at Ebay. That was my error.

Did not know if there were any other outlets versus e-Bay.

Thank you again.

Search 'sold listings' to get a better idea of what stuff is actually selling for.

Two alternatives to ebay is :
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?7-Marketplace Forum and marketplace.
http://www.amibay.com/content.php You have to put a fixed price on what you are selling.

Göran

I was an idiot at first (arguably, still am), and sold all my vintage stuff on the eBay. Wish I would have kept it like I now do.

Havent really beeb actively searching for stuff, just when things find their way to me now, it seems like kismet so I keep it. ...and, some of this stuff is awesome.

.old analog ph meter... Yes, way "cooler" than the new stuff I got in for my microcontrollers.
0225181156a.jpg

Old Hickok scope (that I cant even find documentation for), ..even works still, very awesome..
0225181157.jpg

Have a bunch of other old electrical stuff, like mechanical timers and an odd mechanical alarm clock. I fight with myself between fixing them up or keeping them old and a bit tattered. Thinking, that if one day I do sell them, original condition is of more value to some people.

But like my books, they will probably be with me until I die, then my boys can have them all.

One really important point. Don't assume that the current price on eBay is necessarily all you can get for something. You can put up a listing at any price you want and leave it open. You would be amazed how many times you can get what you want, as opposed to what the price trends show.

anachronism said:
One really important point. Don't assume that the current price on eBay is necessarily all you can get for something. You can put up a listing at any price you want and leave it open. You would be amazed how many times you can get what you want, as opposed to what the price trends show.

Excellent point,
Several things I have gotten from eBay that were up on auction for dirt dirt cheap. While other listings that were up for a set price of the same item, were selling for much much higher (and actually selling). Particularly the fischer scientific lux meter I bought a while back... ended up buying it for 99 cents and 5 bucks shipping, several like it were recently sold on there for over 100. I just assume those people that put it up for a quick 3 day auction don't know any better.

Or, they are wanting quick cash. ..instead they get next to nothing.

Back