What type of jet engine this is

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makayu_glass

Hey refiners got this kind of jet engine. Would like to know what it's specifications are and it's worthness in precious metals . Looking forward to your generous contributions.

Thanks
Makayu

Attachments

• IMG-20180227-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20180227-WA0017.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG-20180227-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20180227-WA0020.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 398
No PMs as far as I know. Blades would be made from Nickel (Ni), Chromium (Cr), Aluminium (Al) and Titanium (Ti). In addition you will find Hafnium (Hf), Rhenium (Re), Tantalum (Ta) and various other metals. So they are definitely worth it to recycle I would say. But the quantities will probably be a bit lower for the heavy metals. A plane is after all supposed to fly and not fall down like a rock.

As to the actual question. Based on the location (Uganda) and by the looks of it I would say it is a rather old Russian jet engine, probably from a MIG 17, MIG 21 or even a MIG 24. But this is more a calculated guess than anything else, so please don't quote me..

Joey

Of course is not a MIG engine, and there is no such thing as a "MIG 24".

It's a turboshaft engine from a helicopter, TV3-117 with a lot of parts missing, maybe?

Hi Dr.

My comment was based on his location (Uganda) and seeing an MI 24 listed on the Uganda air force inventory on Wikipedia. Thanks for pointing out that I should have left out the 'G'. But I think it Is amazing that you actually did identify the engine. Especially when you consider its state...

Joey

Back