Types of printers and scanners (what's in them)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grelko

Add to the list if you want to. Printers, scanners, all in one.

Pictures of item name, model number, front and back of any (refining) material, and weight of (scrapyard) material.

Edit - Add the weight of plastic if you want.

Also, please let everyone know if there's any batteries, LCD screens, etc.

Mods, feel free to move this thread if you feel that it would be better in the Gallery section.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - I will be editing this periodically to add to the list.

This list is in the same order as they are posted.

Lexmark Z23
Compaq S200
HP Photosmart Plus B210
HP Laserjet 1200 series C7044A
Epson WP-4020 B491B
HP Deskjet 6540 - C9052A
HP Lazer Jet 4200 (4200/4300 Series)

Compaq S200

Contains flourescent tube

(Scrapyard)

0.53 lb steel shred

0.12 lb motor

0.04 lb wire/ribbon

(Refining)

0.21 lb material

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

HP Photosmart Plus B210

Contains LCD screen
Contains battery

(Scrapyard)

2.56 lb steel shred

0.65lb motor

0.10 lb wire/ribbon

(Refining)

0.36 lb material

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Cool idea, I like any kinds of threads with information where to find PMs, but unless you are breaking down these printers for trash management reasons I highly doubt that this is cost effective way of getting gold :)

Grelko said:

Yeah, well there is a tiny little bit of refining material - 3 ICs... It is hard to make out in your picture, is there any ENIG on the smaller board and ribbon cable?

And you should definately take those ICs off the boards since they are most likely brownboard grade anyways, but I have a feeling not to be too excited about ICs from lower grade source - bonding wires could be aluminium..

Also, little information on topic - there are sometimes smaller RAM sticks in printers.

-Artūrs

niks neims said:
Cool idea, I like any kinds of threads with information where to find PMs, but unless you are breaking down these printers for trash management reasons I highly doubt that this is cost effective way of getting gold :)

Grelko said:

Yeah, well there is a tiny little bit of refining material - 3 ICs... It is hard to make out in your picture, is there any ENIG on the smaller board and ribbon cable?

And you should definately take those ICs off the boards since they are most likely brownboard grade anyways, but I have a feeling not to be too excited about ICs from lower grade source - bonding wires could be aluminium..

Also, little information on topic - there are sometimes smaller RAM sticks in printers.

-Artūrs

I get a lot of scrap metal and electronics (free, except for the cost of gas)", but I refine PMs as a hobby. I was adding the information, so that people know what's in certain items. (If it's worth their time to take apart) I'm just making an index or catalog of parts.

If any of the ribbon cable has gold plated ends, I would cut them off and add them in with the pictures of "refining material"

Edit again - The Lexmark boards don't have any gold plating. Each dot on the ribbon is gold plated, plus on the sides and middle that are a solid color.

If any of the circuit boards have gold plating or traces under the green solder mask, I would either have a section scratched off or a closer view on that particular piece.

For example, the Compaq scanner had a button pad with gold plating, so I put that board at the bottom of the picture for a "closer view". I was taking the pictures from an angle.

Edit - The HP photosmart, has a long thin board with some gold plating and bonding wires. It's a bit hard to see the plating on it from the picture.

Edit - added

Well I am curious about one item :
What is that thing on the middle board of the last image of your 'compaq' post? I've come accross them before but I have no idea what is it.... Looks quite rich, tho, with those gold colored legs...

-Artūrs

niks neims said:
Well I am curious about one item :
What is that thing on the middle board of the last image of your 'compaq' post? I've come accross them before but I have no idea what is it.... Looks quite rich, tho, with those gold colored legs...

-Artūrs

I'm not exactly sure what those are called, but I think it's some type of Eprom? Others would have more information and I've seen different threads about them. There is gold on the inside also.

Edit - Those are CCD's or Charge Coupled Devices, used for scanning optical images. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22187&p=231431&hilit=scanners#p231431 Search for CCD, there's lots of info about them.

Here's more information about the thin boards with bonding wires, from the HP Photosmart http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=26684&p=283214&hilit=scanner+board#p283214

I like the idea. Lets people know what they are getting with different types of equipment.

I scrap a lot of HP deskjet printers in my day job, the only PM's are the gold plated contacts where the ink cartridge and/or print head sits. They can be scraped off without taking the time to dismantle the whole thing. The rest goes to the e-recycler as there is nothing left but a small PCB and plastic.

We just throw the whole damn thing in the steel trailer. We used to have a guy who would tear them apart, he would pay steel price for them and pull eyerything out of them. He no longer does that. We have 3 recycling drives coming up in the next three weeks, I'd be willing to bet over 3000 pounds of printers alone.

Kinda of a shame to do that, but I can't save it all.

Claudie said:
I like the idea. Lets people know what they are getting with different types of equipment.

That's why I was making this thread. :D If we had enough information about things on here, someone could alphabetize it by brand. Make sections for different items and you could go to the type you have. Then decide if it's worth the time to fix, take apart, or sell.

rickbb said:
I scrap a lot of HP deskjet printers in my day job, the only PM's are the gold plated contacts where the ink cartridge and/or print head sits. They can be scraped off without taking the time to dismantle the whole thing. The rest goes to the e-recycler as there is nothing left but a small PCB and plastic.

I'm not sure which brand it was, but I've seen printer/scanners that have boards with gold plating and traces.

silversaddle1 said:
We just throw the whole damn thing in the steel trailer. We used to have a guy who would tear them apart, he would pay steel price for them and pull eyerything out of them. He no longer does that. We have 3 recycling drives coming up in the next three weeks, I'd be willing to bet over 3000 pounds of printers alone.

I'd have fun tearing those apart, except for getting ink all over my hands :lol: I completely strip everything down for the steel, wire, motors, etc. There's a couple places that buy the plastic, but they want 5 - 10+ tons minimum.

Shouldn't take too long, but if you pull the ink cartridges/toner out, there's a lot of websites that pay for them. The prices are somewhere between $0.25 - $25.00+ (up to $300 for toner) depending on what type it is.

silversaddle1 said:
We used to have a guy who would tear them apart, he would pay steel price for them and pull eyerything out of them. He no longer does that.

Edit - I know why he probably stopped.

3000 lb

Just for example, If they were all the Compaq scanners.

If it was today's prices, he paid the price of steel $8.50/100 lb = $255

approximately 5lb/scanner = 600 scanners

1200 lbs glass "2 lb each, 600 sheets"
1260 lbs plastic

0.53 lb steel/scanner = 318 lb let's say "320" x $8.50/100 = $27.2

0.12 lb motor/scanner = 72 lb x $0.10 lb = $7.2

0.04 lb wire/scanner = 24 lb x 0.10 = $2.40

0.21 boards/scanner = 126 lb x "midgrade green" $0.20/lb = $25.2

-------
$62 Unless he was selling the glass and plastic somewhere, he's losing a lot of money.

Now, if he was selling the glass sheets at $1 each, to make a "green house" etc. add another $600, which would be nice.

Grelko said:
Claudie said:

That's why I was making this thread. :D If we had enough information about things on here, someone could alphabetize it by brand. Make sections for different items and you could go to the type you have. Then decide if it's worth the time to fix, take apart, or sell.

rickbb said:

I'm not sure which brand it was, but I've seen printer/scanners that have boards with gold plating and traces.

silversaddle1 said:

I'd have fun tearing those apart, except for getting ink all over my hands :lol: I completely strip everything down for the steel, wire, motors, etc. There's a couple places that buy the plastic, but they want 5 - 10+ tons minimum.

Shouldn't take too long, but if you pull the ink cartridges/toner out, there's a lot of websites that pay for them. The prices are somewhere between $0.25 - $25.00+ (up to $300 for toner) depending on what type it is.

silversaddle1 said:
We used to have a guy who would tear them apart, he would pay steel price for them and pull eyerything out of them. He no longer does that.

Edit - I know why he probably stopped.

3000 lb

Just for example, If they were all the Compaq scanners.

If it was today's prices, he paid the price of steel $8.50/100 lb = $255

approximately 5lb/scanner = 600 scanners

1200 lbs glass "2 lb each, 600 sheets"
1260 lbs plastic

0.53 lb steel/scanner = 318 lb let's say "320" x $8.50/100 = $27.2

0.12 lb motor/scanner = 72 lb x $0.10 lb = $7.2

0.04 lb wire/scanner = 24 lb x 0.10 = $2.40

0.21 boards/scanner = 126 lb x "midgrade green" $0.20/lb = $25.2

-------
$62 Unless he was selling the glass and plastic somewhere, he's losing a lot of money.

Now, if he was selling the glass sheets at $1 each, to make a "green house" etc. add another $600, which would be nice.

Well not quite. First off, the reason he quit doing it was because his building burned down killing his nightwatchman and his crackhead girlfriend. So he no longer recycles the printers.

So we can move past that and when I say printers, I mean printers and nothing else. Every thing from little desktop inkjets to the huge laser printers. Some will come in that came out of office's and there will most likely be some big photocopiers as well. He alway had a nice pile of stainless rods and stuff he was getting out of the high end units. If you were closer I'd let you pull printers out for your post.

silversaddle1 said:
Well not quite. First off, the reason he quit doing it was because his building burned down killing his nightwatchman and his crackhead girlfriend. So he no longer recycles the printers.

So we can move past that and when I say printers, I mean printers and nothing else. Every thing from little desktop inkjets to the huge laser printers. Some will come in that came out of office's and there will most likely be some big photocopiers as well. He alway had a nice pile of stainless rods and stuff he was getting out of the high end units. If you were closer I'd let you pull printers out for your post.

Well, that's a good reason and horrible to hear.

Those high end units out of office buildings would definately be worth taking apart.

Edit - I swear, no one from this forum lives near me... The closest I've found was about 2 hours away. So, most of the electronics I get are from driving around town on trash night "picking".

HAve a city close by? Get the phone book or Google and find a printer repair business close by. I'm sure they'd give you some crappers.

silversaddle1 said:
HAve a city close by? Get the phone book or Google and find a printer repair business close by. I'm sure they'd give you some crappers.

I'll have to check around, I'm sure there's a few nearby. There "was" 1 downtown, but a couple years back it turned into yet another vape shop.

If I had storage room and money to rent a big dumpster or 2, I'd do a community cleanup, but I think you need a buisness license for that, to prove you're going to dispose of the material properly. Maybe someday.

Then again if I had storage room, I'd have things on E-bay, since a lot of the stuff I get still works, or is easy to fix.

HP Laserjet 1200 series C7044A

(Scrapyard)

5.73 lb steel shred

0.65lb motor

0.11 lb wire/ribbon

(Refining)

1.27 lb material

Remove side panel to expose green board. Small amount of gold fingers, connector pins and a possible Ram card.
Green board shown in Picture 5

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Epson WP-4020 B491B

Contains battery

(Scrapyard)

6.52 lbs steel shred

0.80 lb motor

0.23 lb wire/ribbon

0.23 lb Aluminum sheet

(Refining)

1.16lb material

In pictures 5 and 6, there is a small board that looks like it has gold fingers. It was attached to the black plastic. There are a few pieces of steel inside the plastic, which have ribbon type material that may contain gold bonding wires.
Upon closer inspection, the ribbon material looks like copper

The black plastic piece and board are located "in" with all of the ink. If you feel like being messy, the small board seems to have a lot of tiny gold colored circles.

Also, the tiny square board approximately 0.5 inch was located on the side of a light grey box on the back ""ink overflow".

Edit - spelling

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I'm not a fan of taking apart printers anymore. Too much plastic and ink. Too many screws too. Not really worth the effort, but I would like to know which ones are best. :G

Back