So what's in this lot?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anachronism

Guys

I'm not the best at identifying Tantalum bearing components. Can anyone clarify with their uber paintshop skillz which items on these boards may contain it?

Also whilst we're at it which ones do you think might be PM bearing?

Jon

Attachments

• Power boards.jpg
    Power boards.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
Sorry, I don't have any paintshop skillz.

The only ones I can be sure of are the small yellow rectangular ones. Maybe on the orange ones.

On the aluminum cylindrical caps, if they crush or dent they are not tantalum. The weight is very noticeable on the tantalum ones, especially the larger ones. And they have a "nipple" on the base of one of the leads.

the red marking should be tantalum and the yellow PM, not quite sure about the bright orange capacitors though, check if they have polarity markings
Power boards marked up.jpg

So the obvious tantalum are the yellow ones. I don't think the orange ones are, the shape is off to me...but cutting one clears it up. Plus, you've got an XRF.

On these boards, I always remove the alumina chips. They don't leach worth a crap, but I'll smelt them at some point. Actually, my daughter removes these...she's my best employee.

The relays, my concern about hermetic sealed relays is mercury. I don't want my work area contaminated with it so I refuse to split them.

That's all I'd remove...unless the connectors are there, but that's nice power supply board.

Attachments

• Power boards.jpg
    Power boards.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 219
On the left board with the crushed electrolytics: From the coloring of the LM339 chip in the upper left part of the board it looks like one of the layered ceramic types, so worth looking inside it. If you look halfway between that LM339 and the badly crushed cap straight down from it, there appears to be a small silver colored tantalum cap, same with the board behind it. The 6 pin chips and possibly the 8 pin ones also are most likely optoisolators. I see some occasionally with a bit of gold inside, but usually not. I’d also be cracking open one of those 16 pin Motorola chips though, on the board with the orange caps.

Macfixer01

Thanks guys I'm in the warehouse tomorrow so I'll take some tools and bash a few things. We normally just send these in to the refinery "as is" but when there's a lot to Tantalum things we remove them because you don't get paid on those. They say they can't recover Tantalum but of course they send the slags off to people like Lou and he does it. :lol:

Yeah they are good power boards- they run with high returns in fairness but that's because they are proper telecoms kit.

Ive certainly never seen Pd on normal power boards that's for sure.

See, that's just it...when I scrap these boards I only get "green board power supply" rate. That's the only reason I remove parts from them. 90% of the time it's just the alumina and the gold connector that gets removed...I have to be pretty bored before I remove tantalum unless they are nice sized caps.

Even my kid won't cut tantalum, and i told her she could sell it to Lou and keep all the money. She started, but got bored pretty quick when she realized how many she had to remove to make money. Granted, she's only six, so she prefers to work for bubble yum and slurpees.

If I was paid by content AND had enough to sample well, I'd send them as is.

Back