Crystal Oscillators with Gold Bond Wires?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmetal

Supporting Member
This is a shocker to me. :shock:

I had NO idea that these type of crystal oscillators contained gold pads and gold bonding wires! Am I still such a noobie that I was the only one not in the "know"? :?:

Has anyone collected these and done some R&R (recovery & refining) on them? How are they processed and what sort of gold yield do they produce?

Anyone?

James

Attachments

• Crystal Oscillator5_Rear.jpg
    Crystal Oscillator5_Rear.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 425
  • Crystal Oscillator3_Top.jpg
    Crystal Oscillator3_Top.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 425
  • Crystal Oscillator1_Top.jpg
    Crystal Oscillator1_Top.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 424
  • Crystal Oscillator6_Chip and Gold Bond Wires.jpg
    Crystal Oscillator6_Chip and Gold Bond Wires.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 424
  • Crystal Oscillator7_Chip and Gold Bond Wires.jpg
    Crystal Oscillator7_Chip and Gold Bond Wires.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 424
Did not know that. But then again, there is much more to learn than I now know, fortunately :D Really glad the forum is back up. I don't see that kind of stuff often, mostly computers and the like, much of which is sold. But good to know.

Dennis

Yep, was clearly worth a look because you can see some gold braze holding the stainless cap on usually. Never had enough of them to run a yield test. They would probably process fairly nicely, just ball mill them for a while to break all the caps off, sieve them out and process the powder.

There are like 1-3 on nearly every laptop motherboards. You need literally thousands of them to have any significant amount. I did about 1500 laptops and I collected only about 1 regular coffee cup of these.

patnor1011 said:
There are like 1-3 on nearly every laptop motherboards. You need literally thousands of them to have any significant amount. I did about 1500 laptops and I collected only about 1 regular coffee cup of these.

Pat is correct per the underlined - there yield is good (actually "very" good) but they are so small it takes a LOT of them to be worth running on there own so trying to save them up to run as a batch of there own takes a very "long" time

Therefore I do save them & then when I have enough ceramic CPUs for a batch I throw these little guys in with the batch of CPUs

Kurt

patnor1011 said:
Thanks, all.

Tzoax knew about them also:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22951&start=300#p284656

But, no one seems to have any yield data due to low inventory to process.

I need to reinspect my boards and harvest all of them I find. It would be interesting to get some yield data on the books.

I must be a masochist :roll:

James

I've got a 1/2 lb of them. Bought them on Ebay for $95.

It was sort of an impulse buy.

If I ever get around to running them, I'll post data.

Back