Relay Compositions - Need Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syn

Some years ago i dismantled lots of relays and some had contacts containing >95% Pd, now i always thought these would been AgPd30 and AgPd60 but recently i read at doduco that their AgPd30 is just 30% Pd.

My question now is; AgPd30 / AgPd60 and such as AuNi5, are not molar mass formula? Does that mean AuNi5 contacts are actually 95% Au?

Also does anyone know the composition of "Gold F" contacts? (These are solid golden color, not flashed)
And.. are there AgPd contacts which are gold plated? I always thought they are just silver/copper base but im open for an correction now if any expert may :)

After searching for hours i found some posts about relay compositions but no definite answers to my questions, all i learned is that there is an almost endless variety of types :oops:

I am not asking for your personal sheet or explicit data, just a little basic information please if you can?

Syn, you've actually answered your own question; "i found some posts about relay compositions but no definite answers to my questions, all i learned is that there is an almost endless variety of types". Some have precious metals, some don't. Of the ones that do, there "is an almost endless variety of types". You can't even base it on the type of equipment they came from because specifications change over time, manufacturers source their components from different suppliers, etc. The best you can do is test the material you have. The next batch you get may (probably will) be different.

Dave

Composition in alloys is measured in weight %, not molar %.

Göran

Yes Dave, i figured already that testing is a good way but to understand the markings is already helping, ive read about some color codes before and saw lots of relays with a painted dot on it, different colors - do you have any idea what they are about?

Thanks Göran, this already helps a lot!

Dots might be from testing (f.e. green- good, red- fail)
I am very certain, they have no meaning in regards to the PMs they contain. An engineer is not interested in that, only the function of a component.
There is no standard for marking relays (and most other electronic component) according to the type or amount of PMs they were built with. Better accept it.

Relay's like most all other electronic components use data sheets, I have several different data books from relay manufactures. search for data sheets they can show all specifications for the relay...
Engineers do care what metals are used each electrical application calls for certain compositions.

Back