Crystal? Tantalum?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHPH

Hello,

I recently came into some old medical testing devices and unfortunately, for whatever reason, many of the internal components had their part numbers completely scratched off. Is this a giant crystal? Tantalum capacitor? Alien spaceship?20180609_011503.jpg

Use a multimeter and attach it to both pins. BEFORE you do that set it to DC test, start with a high voltage and then go down step by step. If you cannot measure any voltage it is at least unlikely that it is a capacitor.
Be careful with large capacitors btw. they can be deadly if charged and both poles are touched. they can charge themselves through the air over time.
I don't think it is a capacitor, but there is nothing that is impossible in electronics. (Apart from circuits never working on first test run ;-) )
OK, you could also test if that is a crystal by adding some external components and power and checking the signal or you can use a special crystal testing tool.
Then again you could simply open the device and see what is inside. Just consider that there could be some nasty stuff like acid or else inside. So if you really have no clue, in general, you should not open unknown components. They can contain almost anything from toxic metals, acids gas, radioactive material or precious metals :))).
Pandora's box.

Btw. Looks like a crystal to me.

I might be lost,

Crystal or Tantalum? Ever is the need:)

Do you mean the direct significance between a crystalline Anenome Tantulum of molecular value & Non-equilibrium molecular dynamics simulations of spall in single crystal tantalum?

I will admit I’m not sure how your argument of Tantulum relates. Please specify.

Rachel

By all means crack her open...it can’t be any worse than the Tommyknockers... :mrgreen:

Rachel

Back