Catalytic converter

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowfoil

Hi everyone.
As an occasional scrapper, I collect all kinds of items containing precious metals and I came across, I believe, is an inside of some kind of big catalytic converter from truck. It was discarded in trash bin in front of a scrapyard. All together about thirty pounds. I have no experience with cats at all, and can’t say for sure if it has any value. Could anybody identify it? Pictures included, represent color and texture of the item in question pretty well. Size of tubes is same as any other catalytic converter I have seen before and all of it, I believe, is from one big converter. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC09308.JPG
    DSC09308.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 309
  • DSC09304.JPG
    DSC09304.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 309
  • DSC09296.JPG
    DSC09296.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 310
Lino1406 said:
The contents of PM's is barely 0.5%. So dealing with a lonely converter will not be fruitful

Completely correct.

Also do you really want to mess around with severely toxic crap for a tiny return?

Hi Lino and Anachronism.

Thanks for your reply, but you jump the conclusion that I want to process it. Not now for sure, and probably never, because I will not pay for cats and they are not easy to find for free. I have few cats from cars, in addition to item in question, but for now, I’ll stick with gold only.

The question was, if somebody could identify it and give me idea about quality of this material. I sold few cats from cars and all of them looked black on surface, assuming platinum, but this one looks greenish on surface. Palladium? I don’t even know from what equipment it is, in might be something from industry with different catalyst.

I was hoping that somebody could help me with it, in case I would decide to sell it. It must be close to thirty pounds, so it is good chunk of cat and I hate to be ripped off. Always good to know your stuff.

Thanks anyway.

yellowfoil said:
Hi Lino and Anachronism.
I was hoping that somebody could help me with it, in case I would decide to sell it. It must be close to thirty pounds, so it is good chunk of cat and I hate to be ripped off. Always good to know your stuff.

Thanks anyway.

Just a point of view here, if you find something or buy something and are happy to sell it for $100 then stay happy, if the person who buys it then sells it for a $1000 then it’s either their luck or their better knowledge and I can’t see any ripping off been done, the point is be happy with what you got or learn about everything and it’s vlaue which is near impossible, complaining because someone else knows more is very bad form in my opinion and leaves a bad taste.
Others may not agree with this as I said it’s a personal opinion.

To Nickvc:

Refining precious metals is my primary hobby and I enjoy it, so the knowledge, I am trying to gain, is in the scope of my hobby, certainly not knowing everything. I don’t see anything wrong with trying to get fair price and I am never too happy with what I got, I don’t want to stay in a cave. I think that my question was clear and reasonable, so what is the point discussing totally unrelated issues about happiness? Thanks for discouraging me from learning. I am sure this site is about help and learning. Isn’t it.

With regards.

To Lino:

So what is the greenish layer on ceramic in question?

Thanks.

yellowfoil said:
Hi Lino and Anachronism.

Thanks for your reply, but you jump the conclusion that I want to process it. This is a reasonable assumption given that we are a: on a refining forum and b: you gave no information to the contrary. Not now for sure, and probably never, because I will not pay for cats and they are not easy to find for free. I have few cats from cars, in addition to item in question, but for now, I’ll stick with gold only.

The question was, if somebody could identify it and give me idea about quality of this material. I sold few cats from cars and all of them looked black on surface, assuming platinum, but this one looks greenish on surface. Palladium? I don’t even know from what equipment it is, in might be something from industry with different catalyst.

I was hoping that somebody could help me with it, in case I would decide to sell it. It must be close to thirty pounds, so it is good chunk of cat and I hate to be ripped off. Always good to know your stuff. The three pieces of advice were given freely and with the best of intentions. That's the nature of forums and people willing to give the benefit of their experiences and knowledge to strangers for no reward. I'm sorry that we all failed miserably in our interpretation of your wishes. :twisted:

Thanks anyway.

My real point is in this you need to leave a profit for the next guy that’s how commerce works, there’s nothing wrong with learning and nothing wrong in trying to get a fair price, but what is fair to one may not be to another it all depends on personal views, it also depends on the knowledge of both involved, if you sell to someone who is just taking a punt then you can win or lose whereas if you sell to someone who knows you stand more chance of getting a fair price if they are honest.
As I said it was a personal comment not aimed directly at you or anyone else and another personal comment,I’d happily sell every cat I found for whatever I could get rather than try and refine them myself, it’s a losing proposition and involves very hazardous salts that I’d rather not be around for any length of time.

Enjoy your hobby and keep learning and there is so much to learn and most of it is here on the forum for free but realize no one and I mean no one knows it all in this subject.

Needs a lot of experience in buying catalysts
Make a model list according to car model
Refine
Pt & Pd yield for each
Then you can benefit

Back