800 gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shark

Here is a picture, (kind of poor quality but can be seen), of a piece of jewelry I got today. It came in a lot of gold filled and I assumed it was gold over silver until I tried stone testing it. I am still working on better skills stone testing and this one threw me a curve. No matter how hard I rub it on the stone, and even after filing a spot on the piece it still passes an 18K acid test. It does fail a 22K test after about 10 seconds. I have read about the European 800 gold but what are the odds of a piece showing up here? I also picked up a pair of eyeglass frames today that are 10K, that seems pretty far out there also.

Anyone have an idea on this piece? It is bell shape and the clapper inside passes the same tests as the rest of it. It has a name engraved on the front with some pretty detail around it and weighs 2.5 grams.

Forgot the picture, :oops:

IMG_0727.JPG

Here is a picture of the eyeglass frames. Even the nose plates(?) that rest against the nose passes a 10K stone test. This weighs 5 grams.

IMG_0728.JPG

I can't help with the jewelry, but I've had a number of karat gold eyeglass nosepieces - but just the nosepieces. They've all been old stuff, and always mixed in with gold filled frames.

Dave

I had expected to one day find a karat nose piece and this one kind of threw me as well. The arms(?) that go around the side of the head and over the ear were missing, but the rest is complete less the lens. Even with some filing it passes on all pieces and there is no magnets at all.

It has been a good day shopping for me, but it sure has been strange, and leaves more questions than answers, :?

.800 gold is not unusual. I picked up a few rings and pendants marked .700 and .800 at an antique shop near Helsingborg a few years ago. The jewelry buyer down the road from us checked them with his XRF gun and the all came in within .005 of what was marked. My wife was very impressed when he gave her his buy price. She keeps them with the appraisal letter she has him make for all her jewelry.

Time for more coffee.

Back