A golden alloy

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengie84

So I been processing some old what look like aux jax things that on first glance seem to be gold platted
So I started to strip them in a Sulfuric cell however the fizzing never stops and Amps don’t drop but the moment I rub them even ones half eaten away the Gold just re appears ????

So it it’s possible they could be made from a gold copper alloy? And if so what would be the best way to deal with them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 214
Looks like you're plating copper onto the gold to me. Did you get your connections the right way round?

If you are using a battery charger, is it an automatic type? The automatic ones don't work very well.

No had connections the right way round and no its not a auto charger and it’s hard to tell in the pics but even when it’s been eaten away and the mass has reduced still gold is showing I might try and cut one in half just to check

Could it be that one part is copper the the fitting block now in half is some type of non magnetic white metal causing the issue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 177
Too much water in the acid. Empty the cell and test with fresh sulfuric acid. Those connectors should not be solid gold.

Göran

What strength is your acid? For these cells to work well you need a highly concentrated acid.

Back