New material and yield

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldscraphobby

I got some new material and normally do not weight before & after but curious on this so I did.
The initial amount was 2lb 11.4oz
After AP & cleaned it was 1ib 14.4oz
Gold & some minor junk is 47.6g
The gold still needs to go through another cleaning, its a lot more than I expected. even if there 20g of junk (I don't think there is) I'll still be happy with the amount.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 586
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 586
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 586
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 586
goldscraphobby said:
I got some new material and normally do not weight before & after but curious on this so I did.
The initial amount was 2lb 11.4oz
After AP & cleaned it was 1ib 14.4oz
Gold & some minor junk is 47.6g
The gold still needs to go through another cleaning, its a lot more than I expected. even if there 20g of junk (I don't think there is) I'll still be happy with the amount.

What's the material, where's it from?

Looks like cut-outs from lead frames. There were a chip manufactured in the middle of each of those frames, this is just the leftovers. Nice scrap anyhow. :)

I'm sorry to say, but I think you are right and you will see a quite a large percentage of that gold disappear if you melt it or refine it. Foils could look dry but contains quite a lot of moisture and probably some nickel too. My guess based just on a hunch... 5-10 g of junk, the rest gold.

If you have a buyer that pays on gold content then you could just go on and melt it, but it's really easy to do the refining when it's foils.
I would do a final refine of this, but that's my opinion.

Göran

They are the left over leads frames from a custom IC. Would love to get the scrap IC's but that is not possible.
Because of where they come from and application the plating was heavy but was only expecting a couple grams, so any loss from this total does not matter.
I will do more refining, want to get it the purist I can.

I suspected that they might be lead frames. I will have to agree with Goran on the yield. My own personal guess was a bit higher at 12 grams. Would like to know the results.

So after the first refining the total is ~39g. So lost 8.6g.
I just got another 1lb or so of the material and have it in the AP

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 271
I did see that little bit on the scale and got it off.
I just put 1lb 2oz in AP so if it stays the yield is same (3.2%) I should get ~16g

Back