Looking for value on fingers and ceramics.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silversaddle1

So, markets are up somewhat, thought maybe a good time to move some scrap.

Look at the photos and tell me what you think it would be worth. A opinion will not be considered a offer unless you say it is. Just need a fair market value.

102 pounds of fingers.

120 pounds of ceramics.

20 pounds of black/brown fiber.

There is also (not pictured) over 400 pounds of fiber cpus.

Attachments

• proc1.jpg
    proc1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 741
  • proc2.jpg
    proc2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 741
This makes me want to start processing again. Unfortunately I'd probably have to sell my truck to afford all that right now.
I pray you get a fair price for it.

And I thought I had a large collection :lol:

The fingers can be as high as 5g/kg, but they have to be close cut fingers. You have 102 pounds, so that is roughly 51 kg times 5 is 255g of gold :shock: But in reality it is almost always less than predicted, so 200g is more realistic.

It's a great load for refining, looks great Scott.

I'd be concerned about how many of the rubbish Sun ceramics and lower grade AMD ceramics are in that mix though. Would be easier to price it up if they were separated out otherwise the load would have to be valued with a lower common denominator.

I'm interested though.

anachronism said:
It's a great load for refining, looks great Scott.

I'd be concerned about how many of the rubbish Sun ceramics and lower grade AMD ceramics are in that mix though. Would be easier to price it up if they were separated out otherwise the load would have to be valued with a lower common denominator.

I'm interested though.

Yeah, I know. We have very limited space in the shop so we just throw the ceramics all together. I have since sorted most of the adms and sun stuff out.

Thanks for the info. Still debating to sell or keep stockpiling.

Listening to all the pundits they reckon PMs are all due a big hike but you have to believe in their views, I’m not sure one way or the other but I’m sure I’d keep metals rather than cash at present unless I needed the cash, maybe look to toll refine your stash and then decide, at least it limits the space you need 8)

I'd get them refined so you are at least sitting on metal. With that lot of ceramics you may need to be thinking about the amount of Pd you are getting paid on as well...it sort of depends on the manufacturer. If they are all intel (which they don't appear to be), there's less Pd than say motorola.

The fingers run 2-4g/lb depending on cut and source.

black fiber pentium runs about the same as pentium...but they aren't as straightforward to refine, so I wouldn't expect a toll to be the same price for that.

pentium pro is well documented.

You should be over $20,000...my guess is right around $23k intrinsic gross depending on the mix.

snoman701 said:
You should be over $20,000...my guess is right around $23k intrinsic gross depending on the mix.
Clarification:
Somehow the quick math I did in my head, was off by a zero. It's been a long weekend, and somehow I came up with a couple hundred thousand. That's why I thought I would need to sell my truck. I see now where I made my mistake............I was busy looking at the forum when I should have been sleeping.

Silversaddle, that's a really nice display of the raw materials that processors would take without hesitation. What's in question is the "value" of the material, i.e. what someone is prepared to hand you $20 bills cash for it. One man's value might be very different from another, because of situation, experience, motivation, and knowledge. I might believe that my old Chevy is "worth" $9,000, but if I can't get an actual cash offer over $5,000, then it's worth $5,000.

Similarly, your wonderful material here contains a certain amount of gold, which has a relatively fixed market price. The magic question is how much gold, and nobody knows that until after processing. By then, it's way too late for the buyer to go back on the seller, and the seller has to decide to consider their profit based on cost, and either take the cash offered in hand and run, or else hold it for another day. Most weighing in here with calculations and estimations are basing their numbers on documented but theoretical yields, and aren't accounting for:

Lab space, overhead (rent, electricity, water, taxes)
Chemicals
Equipment (fume hood, glassware, pumps, filters, pails, scales, smelting station, consumables)
Labor (prep/crushing/cleaning/sorting/processing/washing/filtering/drying/weighing/smelting/selling)
Safety(equipment, workman's comp costs)
Environmental (Waste stream collection, processing, neutralization, disposal)
Profit

This is not fluff, it's reality. Perhaps someone has tried to or thinks they can do all this on their remote farm outdoors, wearing flip-flops and shorts, no tops, like in those online videos from India. That's a cruel joke on the workers, but is real. Here in America, we do it right, safely, in an environmentally sound manner, and profitably. My experience tells me to pay 50% of the hoped for gold value yield calculated. To me, this hoped for yield is US$25,312 based on the spot price of gold today at US$1,582/T.oz. and 500 grams = 16 T.oz of pure gold. So I would pay US$12,656 in cash for this.

This is what I'd get if I sold it to my buyer.

But I'd process the fingers myself, just sell the rest.

PRICE/LB
$20.00 Gold Fingers

CPUs (Must be Sorted)
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$125.00 Intel 386 and 486
$120.00 Motorola
$80.00 Pentium Pro Gold Caps
$45.00 Cyrix/IBM/VIA Gold Cap
$40.00 Pentium Ceramic
$37.50 AMD Ceramic Clean (without Al. Cap)
$38.00 Black Fiber CPU
$13.75 Green/Brown Fiber without Heatsink
$6.75 Green Fiber with Heatsink - Pins
$4.50 Green Fiber with Heatsink - Pinless

You buyer lost me at 20 bucks a pound for fingers. Te finger market is insane right now with buyers paying $100.00 to over $125.00 a pound on ebay. Yeah, that's stupid money, unless gold stays on track all year and could close out the year above $2000.00 a ounce. Can that happen, you bet it can. Can it go the other way? Yes it can. That's why they are called speculators.

silversaddle1 said:
You buyer lost me at 20 bucks a pound for fingers. Te finger market is insane right now with buyers paying $100.00 to over $125.00 a pound on ebay. Yeah, that's stupid money, unless gold stays on track all year and could close out the year above $2000.00 a ounce. Can that happen, you bet it can. Can it go the other way? Yes it can. That's why they are called speculators.

125 a pound less 12% in fees, so now you are down to 110 a lb...which is the low end of the recovery value.

That buyer is paying $125 lb for chips that are worth right around $180 a lb (I could tell you exactly, but I don't care to dig in to my records because it's a waste of time). Pretty fair IMO, since they are going to sit on them for close to a year before they send them off.

Have fun trying to find a speculator.

Oh, and for those thinking about sending an offer...don't bother. I've made and offer without the courtesy of a response. I know other people that have had conversations with him as well in the past. The opinion they had was that he's a tire kicker.

Scott eBay buyers aren't speculators. They are people who don't know what gold is there and will overpay.

If you want more than the PM value in your product- then this really is the LAST place you should be putting it up for sale. You know that. Unless you're hoping to "catch a member out" of course. 8) 8)

I totally agree with snoman and anachronism. I wasn't going to say anything on the public chat since I myself sent an offer with no response. I get it Silversadle you want the most money you can get for what you have (I don't honestly blame you for that) but this is a forum of individuals that do know the value of what you have and like you none of them wants to lose money either. Heck I can go anywhere and work for free but my time, my chemicals, my lab equipment, and my knowledge isnt free no offence. So please dont come in here asking ebay prices when you should know that none of us pays those prices. No disrespect intended on my end and certainly no hard feelings. Good luck

Yeah, sorry I didn't respond to the $50.00 per pound offers on close cut fingers. I guess I didn't understand that good clean scrap is only worth half the yield. Thanks.

So then tell us? Who'd you sell the lot to and for what? You came here asking us to appraise your lot...least you can do is enlighten us as to how close we came.

Latest posts

Back