Just for Goran

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anachronism

Here you go.

This is not one of those "the Pd bled into the solder" things I promise!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a particular type of item within some otherwise low grade appearing components and we have struggled for a long time to work out why we were getting Pd ppm in excess of 300 on the returns. Now we know 8)

I'll wait for Goran to tell me the XRF lies, the sun isn't round, the sky is down, or anything similar haha.

Attachments

• Pd boards.jpg
    Pd boards.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 371
That's usually 60/40 or 70/30 Ag/Pd...on old stuff I used to see 50/50.

It doesn't usually leach well either, the Pd holds on to the barium titanite sheet pretty tight, leaving a grey/black shadow.

snoman701 said:
That's usually 60/40 or 70/30 Ag/Pd...on old stuff I used to see 50/50.

It doesn't usually leach well either, the Pd holds on to the barium titanite sheet pretty tight, leaving a grey/black shadow.

Yeah I've seen that on old stuff too. What was your best leaching method?

Haven’t done them purposely, at that time it was AR. If I did it now I’d just use nitric, then save the ceramic for a smelt lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was convinced that it will show Ru on XRF. It is an oxide(usually RuO4),but is embedded in the black trace... resistance trace. Giving the fact that in ceramic is enough Al2O3.... melting would be the best option,adding some NaOH. Then you have the metallic form of an Ag/Pd alloy....some nitric acid...like usually.

P.S.: I do not trust XRF......Ag/Pd alloy on that is 80/20..... Iridium....17%......not .And the XRF....is one element missing....that is CARBON.....the black layer used as an resistance trace .

I tend to agree with xrf readings not been totally accurate on some material but it proves the point that silver and palladium are present and why Jon is getting such a payout on his material.
I believe I can speak for him when I say he has no intention of trying to recover and refine this himself as he has no desire to be around PGM solutions for the extra money he could possibly make but may look for others who could possibly make a better payout on all the metals present if he can separate this item from the bulk of material.

As Nick said.

Out of interest the MLCC from these just formally assayed @ 55g per Kg Pd......

I trust XRF only after a good melt.....that is why. Jon knows what I meant.

Attachments

• IMG_20191118_094856.jpg
    IMG_20191118_094856.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 213
Aaaaaand I'm back... :D

I hope you all are safe.

So, Jon. This is what you told me about. Yeah, it's for real. Screen printed on alumina substrate used in multi-chip modules or microwave sub-assemblies. Nice stuff!
This is where an XRF shines. But I agree with Johnny, it is only an indication until you have done a melt as it' only sees what's on the surface. In this case you have the assay from the smelter and the XRF to point to the spot it came from.

But I'm still claiming that general circuit boards made from fiber glass and epoxy is not plated with PGM or at least so rare that it isn't worth chasing and any traces you see in the XRF is just that, palladium plated components that have contaminated the solder bath.

And it isn't me if I can't find something to object to... :mrgreen:
snoman701 said:

Barium titanate is used in MLCC:s because of its dielectric properties. These modules are printed on alumina substrate or a cheaper ceramic. Alumina is a lot cheaper, stronger and easier to work with.

Ahhh..... it's good to be back.

Göran

Back