RF and similar gold plated material question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerdown

I remember reading about these once before here or somewhere else a few years ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember if the base metal is aluminum or what... and I apparently didn't make note in my notes back then.

They aren't magnetic, not even a slight bit with a neodymium magnet. For my notes on this type of material, would a sulfuric cell be best? If not, what other process(es) could be suggested? I believe I understand correctly that aluminum is very reactive and should be avoided in most chemical processes when possible due to the salts and complications. I do get the white plastic fillings out when possible.

Attachments

• IMAG1120.jpg
    IMAG1120.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 325
I just looked up the typical thickness for the plating on rf connectors. The first thing I found said 0.1-0.5 um.

After doing some math, I found that if you have the best case thickness of 0.5 um, you need about 1 m^2 of plating surface area to get 1g of Au.

Striker33 said:
I just looked up the typical thickness for the plating on rf connectors. The first thing I found said 0.1-0.5 um.

After doing some math, I found that if you have the best case thickness of 0.5 um, you need about 1 m^2 of plating surface area to get 1g of Au.

I'm not so much as concerned about possible yield % on these as of yet. I'm just collecting, sorting and stashing for now, while trying to research the items, jotting down notes as to which will go with what process and so on. Although I appreciate your time for the gold detail aspect of these, I'm just curious as to what the probable/typical base metals are for these types of materials. I have made note of your info though... Thanks :)

Good question, I figured sulfuric acid cell myself but unsure as well. I have quite a bit myself and am looking for best possible extraction process. If you find out please let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 293
Mcnew32(Ag) said:
Good question, I figured sulfuric acid cell myself but unsure as well. I have quite a bit myself and am looking for best possible extraction process. If you find out please let me know.

1st Picture... from what I've read thus far, you should remove the gray canister tops as much as possible since it's just iron based to reduce unwanted iron contamination once ready to process.

2nd Picture... I do know that the white plastic inserts ought to be removed if a sulfuric cell will be the process. Something about the sulfuric acid will... melt? digest?... the plastic in a way and then be in the solution possibly trapping gold in a more solidly goo solution.

I could be wrong though, since I have not done the chemical process myself (yet) for either of these types of material. So, I am open to correction from the higher ups if I am wrong.

The simplest way to find out is add one item to the acids you are considering. One won't loose you much gold and give a first hand picture in your mind of the results. These days I seem to learn from such testing better than just reading, but then I am feeling old these days as well. :) It has been a few years since I worked either one of those items, but within reason, remove as much plastic or unnecessary base metals as possible. The plastic will also insulate the gold layer and leave such layer behind in a sulfuric cell. Maybe someone with more knowledge will pitch in with better advice.

Thank you guys for the input you have provided. I do know there is more work to be done to pre these items for processing. But experimentation would prove useful.

Mcnew32(Ag) said:

you need to keep your telecom separate from your avionics/military. The Telecom will be Au plated brass and the military will be Au plated SS.

You can tell by the color of the gold the weight of the part.

Eric

etack said:
Mcnew32(Ag) said:

you need to keep your telecom separate from your avionics/military. The Telecom will be Au plated brass and the military will be Au plated SS.

You can tell by the color of the gold the weight of the part.

Eric

In regards to my posting, that would mean my RF & A/V connectors, like in my pictures, are most likely gold over brass and not aluminum? If so, then a sulfuric cell would probably be the choice process to go with when the time is right for me, yes?

FrugalRefiner said:
The problem with a sulfuric cell for connectors is that it won't reach well into any inside plating.

Dave

Even if the plastic inside is removed prior to the process?

hammerdown said:
FrugalRefiner said:
The problem with a sulfuric cell for connectors is that it won't reach well into any inside plating.

Dave

Yes.

I may need corrected on this, but I think is due to the "Faraday cage" effect.

Shark said:
hammerdown said:
FrugalRefiner said:

Dave

Yes.

I may need corrected on this, but I think is due to the "Faraday cage" effect.

I just read up a little bit about Faraday Cage on the forum. If I understand correctly, even with the plastic removed from within, the surrounding inner walls will inhibit the current flow of electrons to the cathode, therefore leaving the inner wall plating intact. Sheesh! This is why I have stayed stuck at just doing AP & Lye process... SOOO much I have yet to keep learning & comprehending.

So, if a sulfuric cell actually wouldn't be wise for RF, and similar, connectors... what would be considered the better process?... scratch them to expose the base metal and use CuCl2 to leech out the brass leaving the gold? Although, I would think that would use up a lot of acid given the amount of base metal per plated piece.

I processed 10 pounds of those RF connectors, took a long time in sulphuric dish. Do not think I broke even investment at around $30 a pound when gold was up. I will never do them again. Spent a lot of time cleaning all plastic and any metal out/off connectors. Just did not seem worth the time and effort.

I have probably processed close to if not more than a ton of these over the last few years and I used cyanide which struggles to get all the gold especially inside and where the plastic inserts are still intact.
Maybe have a look at what Patnor is up to with his leaching which looks a lot safer and using more easily available chemicals, what you can’t recover via the leach then perhaps melt the remainder into a bar and use it in the stock pot, that is if you only have relatively small amounts to process.

For my current limited experience, and even more limited knowledge of beyond HCL, HNO3 and H2SO4 at this point... I've come to the conclusion since posting this question that, for material such as these RF connectors and the like, I will set this material aside in my stash for used AP / CuCl2 "set it and forget it" process, as it seems to be the best way for a beginer/novice since I have now learned that a sulfuric cell isn't always the best for fully plated items.

I'm not exactly ready to try and process most of what I post about at present. I'm just trying to get better information regarding certain material types, take & organize notes, and sort the various material I currently have (and will continue to get) in stashes by proper processes in the hopes of being better prepared for when the day does come that I'm ready to get out of the kiddy pool and wade into deeper waters more.

There is nothing wrong with your approach in my opinion.
If you are accumulating material that’s all good, if you don’t feel the processes needed to treat certain materials are for you there is a way to recover the value, simply list on eBay and buy better materials for your processing with the proceeds, I gather much sells for over it’s metal value so you shouldn’t lose much if anything and you would have material to work with you are happy to do.

Back