My first oscilloscope... but not sure on certain parts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerdown

I obtained my first oscilloscope to scrap out (non-working), and I was a tad disappointed that it's innards weren't as high-tech with IC's & boards as some I've seen from others but, in the pictures below, I marked a few components that I'm not 100% certain on and was wondering if any of y'all may know.

I believe #1 is a type of capacitor, but not certain as to if any real PM value
I want to say #2 is also a type of capacitor, but again not certain as to the type nor any possible PM value
I'm fairly certain #3 is a type of Tantalum capacitor, due to the "+" , but thought I'd ask just to be sure
And #4 does have me stumped with that center ridge or dimple or whatever you want to call it.

As far as the rest of what I can see, not much else that's worth a hoot... but a couple of items worth cherry picking.

Attachments

• IMAG1125.jpg
    IMAG1125.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 236
  • IMAG1123.jpg
    IMAG1123.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 236
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 237
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 236
  • IMAG1126.jpg
    IMAG1126.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 237
hammerdown said:
I'm fairly certain #3 is a type of Tantalum capacitor, due to the "+" , but thought I'd ask just to be sure

It is not.

The only thing that might be a Ta cap is the green cap hanging off by the bottom of rotary knob switch in the bottom left-hand corner.

Nothing else looks like it contains any significant amount of PMs.

Oddly though in oscilloscopes the largest concentration of PMs can be on the inside of the CRT. The coating can be Au or Pd.

Eric

"Oddly though in oscilloscopes the largest concentration of PMs can be on the inside of the CRT. The coating can be Au or Pd."

you know anyone who processes the crt for pms?

we have quite a collection of Tektronix - mostly parts, lots disassembled

would there be any pms in old vacuum tubes from 50s thru probably 80s? audio, tv and electron

mark

etack said:
hammerdown said:

It is not.

The only thing that might be a Ta cap is the green cap hanging off by the bottom of rotary knob switch in the bottom left-hand corner.

Nothing else looks like it contains any significant amount of PMs.

Oddly though in oscilloscopes the largest concentration of PMs can be on the inside of the CRT. The coating can be Au or Pd.

Eric

Dang... I was hoping those silver canister style capacitors were at least Tantalum. Thanks.

As far as the CRT from the oscilloscope, I was shocked at just how lightweight it was in comparison to TV CRT's of similar size. Tapping on the side does tell me that it's glass, but awfully lightweight. I'll store it away safe until maybe someday I can safely busted it down to hunt for any possible PM. Thanks for that tid bit of info concerning CRTs from oscilloscopes.

Latest posts

Back