90's hard drive logic boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerdown

I just got done tearing down a handful of ~40MB hard drives from what I believe the 90's. Although I know a lot of the components, but I thought I'd run it by you guys on a few of them just for verification.

Picture 1a with red circles - I want to say Tantalum capacitor... correct?

Picture 2a with green circle - run of the mill "blah" ceramic capacitor?
Picture 2a with pink circles - I'm wanting to say resistor arrays (silver recovery), but I'm not certain.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 346
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 346
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 346
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 346

Picture 3a with yellow circle - I see a dimple on one end as well as arrows indicating polarity, but is it actually tantalum?

Picture 4 with red circle - Marked as a capacitor on the board, but given the age of the board and all the other tantalum capacitors spread about, I'm not exactly certain about the few like this one. I don't see any identifier markings for polarity.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 345
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 345
rucito said:
This are tantalum capacitors.

I appreciate your reply, but I already knew those that you circled were tantalum capacitors. My post was to inquire about the pictures where I circled certain components that I wasn't certain about.

Yellow epoxy with green circle.

Just crush one and see what is inside. Probably you will find a MLCC. If a rock hard black thing its tantalium.

Тhis is electrolytic capacitor.Tantalums are very heavy.

Attachments

• ppp.jpg
    ppp.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 271
stella polaris said:
Yellow epoxy with green circle.

Just crush one and see what is inside. Probably you will find a MLCC. If a rock hard black thing its tantalium.

I'll give it a check see. I thought only the ones where the leads come out the ends contained MLCCs. Thanks.

rucito said:
Тhis is electrolytic capacitor.Tantalums are very heavy.

I kinda figured as much, but wasn't sure with the nipple sticking out the end and this being an older logic board. Thanks.

These are from the forum. Can't remember the link though. I'll post it if i find it
Pics of some tantalum capacitors.
Edit: found it

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26628&p=305760&hilit=Tantalum+capacitors#p305760

Attachments

• Ta cap new 012.JPG
    Ta cap new 012.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Ta cap new 042.JPG
    Ta cap new 042.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 169
Back