Rhodium Plating

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmk88

Dear all,

I have been offered a large quantity of rhodium plated items.

I am assuming rhodium playing is the equivalent of gold plating and as such is not worth the hassle/consumables?

Any help would be appreciated in advance; I am being told they have high value from the chap that has them?

Most Rh platings are extremely thin and the coating is only removed mechanically. You may be able to soak the items in an acid and have the coating come off unaffected as Rh is practically insoluble in common acids.

Of course the chap thinks it's valuable. It's got rhodium all over it. In reality, it's most likely a very low value item.

Rd is worth substantially more than gold right now. So I guess the questions would be how much is a "large quantity"? What is the underlying metal? And how easily you could remove the plating from the piece.

My wife has several pieces of white gold, plated with rhodium. Every 5-6 years, she has them replated by one of the better jewelers in the area. Average total cost per item was under $15 just last year. Just my opinion, but I do not think there would be much rhodium present. My jeweler explains that a flash plating improves the durability of the surface, and color of white gold rings, and other items that get heavy wear.

Do not count on this being a significant payday.

Time for more coffee.

Thank you All.

Very much appreciated.

I don’t think I will take him up on his offer. Although they are gold filled but then I have the issue of pgms and gold which I don’t really need.

I have more friendly scrap.

Thank you again all.

Back