Diesel particulate filtering

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

Hi

A client of mine sent me pictures as following for a device that is particulate filtering.

Checked their website and it states they use Pt and Pd for their catalytic converters.

Considering the size of this which is close to 200lbs and asking price of $2000 per piece, they must have good PGMs.

IMG-20201216-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0013.jpg

Here is the link info about this particular filter.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://hug-engineering.com/sites/default/files/brochures/downloads/mobiclean_r_2019.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjtoMXd4NLtAhUIHOwKHVEKDREQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2sm-qyzIyWMtyVFzTl76tW&cshid=1608132553395

Anyone has processed these? Thanks and happy holidays.

Hi Kjavan.

I'm sorry to disappount you, but if it is a diesel particle filter only, then it will contain no PMs.
It is in practical terms a ceramic honeycomb matrix with every channel blocked in one end, so that half of them is open in each end.
Without knowing for sure, I guess the matrix is more porous than converters to allow the exaust gases to flow from one channel to the other, blocking any carbon particles from following the gases.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Yggdrasil said:
Hi Kjavan.

I'm sorry to disappount you, but if it is a diesel particle filter only, then it will contain no PMs.
It is in practical terms a ceramic honeycomb matrix with every channel blocked in one end, so that half of them is open in each end.
Without knowing for sure, I guess the matrix is more porous than converters to allow the exaust gases to flow from one channel to the other, blocking any carbon particles from following the gases.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Thank you. I also read its pdf carefully and it mentions there are two types, basic and advanced.

The advanced one removes sootd and does the catalyst.

Hi

Here is a little update on this project. I looked at the catalog of the company that build these DPFs, and realized the one that are type r advanced which do contain Pt and Pd has two ports that wires connect to them.
As can be seen from a shot taken from their catalog
Screenshot_20210113_204558_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

If you notice from my posted pictures two ports can be seen.

So these giants DPF s each weighs 200lbs have Pt and Pd.

I am going to smelt 100g which my client brought me to determine Pt and Pd amount

Thanks
Kj

Hi

I finally smelted 100g sample cat from the DPF above and got 0.056g Rh and some Pt which is due to lack of zinc is in solution.

Here is the sample
IMG-20210115-WA0022.jpeg

One thing I noticed about cupeling black Rh powder, is my lead always contaminated with silver so when cupeling completed got 2 beads one was silver from lead and other one was this Rh.

Amazin metal. It becomes pure even when lead is impure.

So this DPF has Rh and Pt. Considering each cat weighs 50kg or more that means 25g Rh for each, there are 3.

Also i used only 60g silver which shrunk and couldn't collect all PGMs so I am going to remelt the slags with 200g copper to recover more Rh.

Best regards
KJ

Hi

I believe gold was mentioned to be the best collector for PGMs including Rhodium.

The whole process of cupeling oxidizes the impurities and get absorbed into the cupel, so basically any beads that remained after cupeling is at high purity.

I even noticed when I tried to cupel some Pt black powder using the same lead I used for Rh, the silver contamination in lead just didn't alloy with Rhodium as you can see picture below right before I removed the Rh bead.
IMG_20210117_132332.jpg

Here is a close up of that Rh bead
IMG_20210117_132517.jpg

I did the same process of cupeling with Pt black and it amalgom with silver in the lead and formed a single bead of silver and Platinum
IMG_20210117_132731.jpg

Here is the bead above dissolved in nitric with Pt going to solution since it was 25 percent of silver weight.
IMG_20210117_132922.jpg

I am given 200g of same cat to be smelted using copper as collector to see how much Rh I can recover.

Best regards
KJ

Platdigger said:
What makes you so sure it is rh? Seems highly unlikely.
I know they use cirium in some and I believe rhenium also is used.

Rh does not dissolve in nitric unlike Pt or Pd which if they are less than 25 percent of silver weight.

Unless other PGMs beside Rh behave the same way, and I have never heard of using rhenium being used in catalytics

Hi

I did smelt the 200g cat from that DPF using 300g copper and 250g cryolite, dissolved the copper bead and got very small black powder.

I cupeled it using lead and got small bead.

I placed this new Rh bead and the previous one in nitric and it dissolved, turned out they were silver and Not Rhodium.

This still puzzling as I did see black powder not soluble in nitric when I dissolved the silver bead from smelting 100g cat with silver.

I even dissolved the 2 silver beads from cupeling the powders thinking maybe Rh is in them but still nothing..

Conclusion, this specific type of DPF does not have any PGMs.

Thanks
KJ

Back