1950-60's Bulova 14kt watch

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acpeacemaker

Well back at it with the watches... I posted a few years ago about a Rolex whether it was fake or not. Learning quite a bit from everyone that had input on it.

This time though I know this is real. I just don't know where the value lies in scrap or just as a resell. My late grandfather had this as a retirement gift. I know there's some watch buffs here so if they have any good info to share I'd really appreciate it. Its a 50's-60's Bulova Aooutron 14k gold watch. There's a 10kt on eBay similar for $3500. With a few others around $1k-$3k. Then there's a few electroplated for a couple hundred bucks. But this says 14kt gold case. Numbers are E60779 M5 Bulova

Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• 20210308_135301.jpg
    20210308_135301.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 243
  • 20210308_135337.jpg
    20210308_135337.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 243
acpeacemaker said:
Its a 50's-60's Bulova Aooutron 14k gold watch.

It's a Bulova Accutron. It was advanced for its time. It was one of the first electronic watches, a tuning fork watch, using the frequency of the tuning fork to measure time instead of a mechanical movement. It was replaced by the current quartz movements.

I can't really opine as to value. As a collector's item, it all depends on what someone is willing to pay to fill a gap in their collection.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
acpeacemaker said:
Its a 50's-60's Bulova Aooutron 14k gold watch.

It's a Bulova Accutron. It was advanced for its time. It was one of the first electronic watches, a tuning fork watch, using the frequency of the tuning fork to measure time instead of a mechanical movement. It was replaced by the current quartz movements.

I can't really opine as to value. As a collector's item, it all depends on what someone is willing to pay to fill a gap in their collection.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info. And the correction. 🤣 The lettering is so close together they look like o's lol. Not going to lie it definitely has wear on it. Just wasn't sure the market on something like it. Watches have never been my thing. I don't know what scrap value holds for something like this either. I'm not refining this year solo or commercially. I decided to ride a different chapter and try out paramotoring so that's where all my time has gone.

Andrew

https://www.nawcc.org/

look here they have a convention by me(well did).

they might be able to help you out.

Eric

Andrew,
You may already have an answer to you question but being new to the forum I wanted to add value before asking questions from the group.

The watch is a 1965 Bulova Accutron 218. The case is 14kt except for the stainless steel ring holding the back in place. The band is a gold filled over stainless Spiedel.

As an avid watch collector,buy/sell/trade guy I currently have over 200 accutrons...not because I wanted to collect them, but because I seem to be an Accutron magnet!

The 218 models are less valuable then the 214 models unless they are very unique.

If you use EBay as a market value guide you will need to look at completed and sold auctions to find comparisons. Even then, there is still some “Skull Duggery” that can happen with false buyers and then reliating items to make you think they are more valuable. With that being said, I have personally sent a lathe number of standard 218’s to meet the refining gods.

A few considerations I make when deciding to sell or refine
Or selling an Accutron.
1. Is it running? That model can cost between $200-$400 or more to repair depending on the problem and availability of parts. Not every watchmaker will work on them. They are a different breed. It also requires a special battery to keep accurate time and run to hot, called an Accucell.

2. After finding the guess on value and wether or not it is running, then you take out any fees for listing/selling/ money transfers service and see what you would net out.

My basic answer on standard 218’s is usually “Scap brings more net dollars”.

If it’s a family piece you want to pass down, different story all together.

Feel free to ask any follow ups or PM me if I can help!

Rusty

Back