Silver Flatware

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiogoldfever

I am a salesman, due to that I am on the road constantly and have made a point of stopping by all the area goodwill stores and picking up cheap silver. Much of what I find is just silver plate though I do manage to score some sterling from time to time.

I often find butter knives that are not marked, or often are marked as stainless though when I scratch deeply or shave material off the handle it appears to be sterling. It’s unlikely to see silver over aluminum right? If I can remove large bits of material with my utility knife and the metal is soft and unchanging it stands to reason its sterling.... right?

Anyone have much experience with flatware? I understand the value is awfully low. It’s more fun and a bit of speculation on inflating silver costs. Hell for .19 a unit it’s kinda hard to loose.

If not marked, it is unlikely to be anything other than silver plated. If white metal under plating, it could be zinc, which I encounter frequently. There are other white metal alloys that are plated with silver. Have fun.

Time for more coffee.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I figured sterling was likely to always be marked. I also hadn’t considered Zink or other white, soft alloys.

The blades on almost all flatware are stainless steel. The handles could be either silver plate or sterling. Often, the markings on sterling handles can be hard to find.

To test them, file a deep notch and apply a bit of Schwerters solution.

Dave

The older I get the more things I forget too, lately maybe it is a lack of oxygen my mind and eyesight seem to failing me, or maybe that and just too much coffee.

galenrog,
I find it amazing, your ability to overcome your disability, I admire your being a real trooper in this struggle.
I can kind of understand somewhat how difficult or frustrating things must be, not being able to have more control over your muscles, and how hard the work to regain some function.

Man you are just amazing and an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work, and save time for more coffee.

Back