NFPA Diamond Guide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane333

Have you ever wondered what that Color Coded Diamond that's on alot of the MSDS sheets or on the backs of HazMat trucks and the numbers meant? Attached is a rating guide and the meanings of those colors and numbers.

gI_102300_WS-NFPADiamond.jpg

Joe

Attachments

• NFPALabelingGuide.pdf
    62.8 KB · Views: 48
I use a couple of others.

This one includes a few more of the Specific Hazard designations. The descriptions are a bit different as they are based on the HMIS. The NFPA and HMIS systems are similar, but different:nfpaexample.jpg
This one provides guidance on the HMIS PPE classes:HMIS%20Poster%20English.jpg
Hazmat also uses the diamond, but is somewhat different:hazmat-s1-2.jpg
At least, that's the best I can figure.

Dave

Good stuff there, Dave. I hadn't seen the chart when I did a search so I thought posting it would help. Thanks for those extras. I wasn't aware there were other charts like that. Although, as a kid, the best kinds I remembered that will always stick with me were simple ones like the following. They said it all...

poison-skull-crossbones.jpg

Explosives.jpg

highly-flammable-symbol-i3.jpg

And of course, this one....after the movie "Jaws" came out....I didn't get back in the water for years after that movie...

sharkslg.gif

The placards are also used in Canada and I believe in the U.S. as well when transporting dangerous goods. One of the main reasons you have to display the placards on your vehicle is for first respondents, they can quickly identify what if any possible intimidate dangers are present in the case of a accident or perhaps a fire that is close to a parked vehicle. A lot of people don't know this but it's actually against the law not to display the placards, there are however a few under 100 kg exceptions here in Canada.

FrugalRefiner said:
It might be more appropriate to have these in the MSDS category of the forum if we can get one of the Moderators to move it?

Dave
Done!

Harold

As of November 2013, there is an agreement between many nations for an alternate system.
Not sure what the details are but it's coming.

quality_dude said:
As of November 2013, there is an agreement between many nations for an alternate system.
Not sure what the details are but it's coming.

It is called Globally Harmonized System GHS.

GHS stands for the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals. GHS was developed by the United Nations as a way to bring into agreement the chemical regulations and standards of different countries. In short, it is an international attempt to get all countries on the same page.

GHS is primarily concerned with the classification of chemicals and the communication of hazards related to those chemicals to users of the products downstream via warning labels and safety data sheets. Link to informational paper (white paper).

The OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (HazCom) remains the law in the U.S. and has been revised to include alignment with GHS system.

This system uses pictograms instead of the colored diamond.

Buy Aura Kingdom Gold on http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/aura-kingdom/Golds
24/7 livechat help, All our golds comes from our skilled and professional gold farmers, so they are all legit and safe.
xxxxxxxxxxx/b]

kane333 said:
Good stuff there, Dave. I hadn't seen the chart when I did a search so I thought posting it would help. Thanks for those extras. I wasn't aware there were other charts like that. Although, as a kid, the best kinds I remembered that will always stick with me were simple ones like the following. They said it all...

Here's the one I remember most. I don't know if they are still around but it might be good to have if there is any chance of kids (or anyone) getting around your chemicals. Pretty easy to understand.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqHxKVUG8cU[/youtube]

Attachments

• 220px-Poison_Help.png
    220px-Poison_Help.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 247
Back