Peracetic/Peroxyacetic Acid MSDS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gorfman6154 said:
For anyone using Peracetic Acid to remove solder from circuit boards. Just remember if you remove any lead, you end up with Lead Acetate, which is toxic. Please dispose of in an enviromentally friendly way. :arrow:

Gorfman

Good reminder. People with septic systems need to be especially careful of what they pour down the drain. If you or your neighbors have a well, it might well end up there.

This is clipped from the wiki.

"Alternately, the solution may be reacted with sulfuric acid to precipitate insoluble lead sulfate. The solid may then be removed by mechanical filtration and is safer to dispose of than aqueous lead acetate."

There are many patents on reducing lead sulfate. I haven't read any of them as yet but it may be possible the lead can be recovered for scrap value. Or as butcher mentioned a while back put it in a car battery you are scrapping anyway.

Much more complicated than it would appear. :lol:

After reading this one my head is swimming.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4220628.html

Converting it to lead sulfate and sticking it in a old battery seems a more viable alternative. :shock:

Irons, that is a very important point on septic systems, I dont even let my wife put household chemicals down the drain, also try to limit all this antibacterial junk she thinks she needs from ending up destroying my septic, encourage her to use products that dont end up in the septic, or are more natural, my well is quit away from my septic, and I want to keep my drinking water uncontaminated, I also think people dump way to many dangerous chemical down city sewers, just think of all the products people buy and flush or let go down the drain, which the poor town down river gets into their drinking water, people seem to think if they flush it it just magically dissapears.

Back