Catalytic converters: Trade now prohibited in the EU

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcel

Supporting Member
The trade of catatalytic converters now is forbidden on ebay, caused by a document from a german special waste organisation that holds:
- The trade of cats illegal for any individuals, because any trade of this material requires a permission by the authorities. (10.000€ fine)
- The transport must be performed by specialized forwarders. Sending cats through the postmail is a enviromental crime and will cause severe punishments
- Processing cats from now on is illegal, because it will release cancerous fumes to the enviroment. Severe punishments apply.

Source:
http://www.sam-rlp.de/altkatalysatoren

Ebay has stopped to accept catalytic converters auctions.
I was unaware, that cats are a source of cancerous fumes when opened. I somehow suspect, this is another strike of our all so strong recycling lobby (Umicore etc.) which runs a dictatorship here in europe when it come sto recyling precious metals.

Why is it reminding me to the historical gold prohibitions?!...and the alcohol prohibition....

Good information! Thanks, Marcel!

..but that is only, if the kats are sold for recycling...if you buy them (ofcourse) because you want to use them ina car you maybe want to buy, than it is ok, as far as I understand. Well, EU and their laws

solar_plasma said:
Why is it reminding me to the historical gold prohibitions?!...and the alcohol prohibition....

..but that is only, if the kats are sold for recycling...if you buy them (ofcourse) because you want to use them ina car you maybe want to buy, than it is ok, as far as I understand. Well, EU and their laws

I assume they have some "collector" value to someone :lol: :lol:

Eric

etack said:
solar_plasma said:

I assume they have some "collector" value to someone :lol: :lol:

Eric

I'm sure not long, then you have get a collectors licence for that in germany :D

I live in Sweden because my wife of 26 years is Swedish, go figure. Cats are not totally out of the question. They just cant be purhased sold online through ebay and other sites and then sent by ordinary post. There are certain scrap yards in Poland, Germany, the UK, Italy, and Spain that will sell you cats. Of course you may need to buy 50 or a100 at a time. And they will either arrange safe transport or allow you to pick them up. While it does require a sizable investment the potential profits are there for all. Hell you can buy new cats out of China for $10 bucks and process them. While the chinese cats dont have as much juice they are worth more than $10. in PM recovery. How do the Chinese sell this crap so cheap. Its called government subsidy, the Chinese govt subsidizes the production to make Chinese companies more competitive. (Just goes to prove the US govt isnt the only govt with another dumb As idea for how to waste money) But I like to think they do this for my benefit.

Back