Nitric acid: soon to be prohibited in the EU

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_bab

In the never-ending fight against idiots who like to blow themselves up for (how many?) virgins in the afterlife a new EU regulation is soon to kick in.
Unfortunately nitric acid is considered an explosive precursor.

There are other chems affected by this new regulation (any transaction with these should be reported): potassium/sodium nitrate (good for making nitric acid), sodium chlorate(Pd refining), hydrogen peroxide >12%, sulfuric acid.

In short, the regulation will enter into force from 2'nd of September 2014 (a year from now on).
The possession, manufacture, use of nitric acid of more then 3% will be completely forbidden starting from 2 March 2016.
This will basically mean no more home refining since as an amateur nobody will be able to get it anymore as a member of general public.

After the 2 of March 2016 trying to get nitric acid will make you a potential terrorist unless you'll have licenses coming out of your ears.

The regulation: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexplus!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=EN&numdoc=32013R0098

I imagine much the same will end up happening in the USA. All it really means though is that you have to have a legal business and a legitimate reason for purchasing certain chemicals/acids. Is it very difficult to establish a business in the EU so that you can legally purchase these items?

Scott

Ouch; very bad news unfortunately.

I guess We can forget every process that involves HNO3... and so Ag too!

I think we might be able to come up whit a legal manner to process our precious metals.

Beautiful! Because naturally, morons can't possibly make things that go "boom" without nitric acid or nitrates.

Heh, I seriously wonder how many of the wannabe-shrapnel crowd even try to make their own explosives, rather than just buying black powder (or pyrocellulose, more likely).

Personally, I think we should encourage them to try! We'll have a lot fewer successful bombings, along with no need to go through an expensive trial to deal with them afterward. :twisted:

Oh, and we can forget about farming too, 9kuuby9. Good luck getting crops to grow on liquid ammonia.

chlaurite said:
Beautiful! Because naturally, morons can't possibly make things that go "boom" without nitric acid or nitrates.

Heh, I seriously wonder how many of the wannabe-shrapnel crowd even try to make their own explosives, rather than just buying black powder (or pyrocellulose, more likely).

Personally, I think we should encourage them to try! We'll have a lot fewer successful bombings, along with no need to go through an expensive trial to deal with them afterward. :twisted:

Oh, and we can forget about farming too, 9kuuby9. Good luck getting crops to grow on liquid ammonia.

All sucessful bombings are goverment financed and planned and they paste the name "Islam" (propaganda) on top of it, what a dirty game :lol:

Those unsucessful ones are very very rare to happen and those are idiots that plan those.

They really want to make us a world wide nation of slavery; Farming is way too inportant! Oh well I guess Monsanto could sell you some seeds that are ammonia resistant :lol:

At this rate all serious small refiners will be emigrating to Indonesia!

Con nitric, hydrochloric, sulphuric acids (no problem); sodium/potassium cyanide (shop around), etc, etc.

Although I have to admit that when I tried to source ammonium nitrate (to try blowing up some tree stumps) from our local fertilizer shops/farmers' co-ops, I was unsuccessful. That one IS on the terrorist black list here.

Woodworker1997 said:
Just goes to show the total idiocy of having UNIONS!
Derek.

And what unions do have with this? I would say opposite is the cause - capitalism at its finest.
It is more of recycling business being concentrated in the hands of few. It is lucrative so why not to push small guys out with handy new legislation. :twisted:

They have forgotten to prohibit NaCl and thereby prohibit the oceans. Not to forget air. Stupidity has no limits. But then I am sure Montsanto et al. will soon provide the world with artificial and "harmless" substitutes for NaCl and air too. Urination should be restricted and monitored, - it is the production of several precursors and pre-precursors,too.

Those are the times I meant when I said, who knows, under altered conditions the worst refining methods may become the only accessable. Time for inventing a new wheel.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new and only just read this... Surely there's gotta be a way around all this for us in England and the rest of Europe? I've only just started and already I'm gonna have to give it up?

Nitric is semi-easy to make if you have the right "stuff". At the risk of suffering Harold's banhammer I'll leave it at that.

Ok, I understand it's a touchy subject, so after the following question, I'll leave it be. Is this something I can find in a text book somewhere? I'm guessing so...

Nitrates have always been important to governments, and farmers, sometimes in history farmers were taxed, to pay for their tax with nitrates, they produced on their farms.

Although not easy, any farmer can produce nitrates, and thus he can make nitric acid, sulfuric acid can also be made from sulfur or sulfide rock, again not an easy task.

So the cave man can make his own nitric acid.
But it would be much easier to find another source for these acids, or reagents you need in recovery and refining.

The forum has discussed many different ways to make or get these reagents or acids, even the caveman's methods (nitrates, sulfuric, nitric...).

I have just very (very) briefly skimmed that. Where does it say these substances are banned, or that special licensing is needed? Seems like they have a duty to report suspicious purchases, but why would this prevent any refiner from purchasing nitric acid? If you are refining gold and consider yourself to be a member of the public, then just declare yourself a sole trader - then you're a professional. I would expect most to be sole traders anyway, if they are making any money, as otherwise they would be tax evaders.

Dave there is a major problem with that.

If you declare yourself as a sole trader for refining then you will open up a whole pandora's box. The world of pain that will descend upon you from the Environment agency, and the sheer cost involved in conforming to, and paying for licences, will be diabolical.

Personally I'd suggest laying out some cash this month on a whole load of Nitric.

Here again, refining will become the sole domain of a few wealthy elites. Any time the Serfs get their foot in the door, someone cuts off their leg.

There's always inquartation and Ralph's Silver cell, to at least get the Gold pure enough to get a fair return from the refiners.

spaceships said:
Dave there is a major problem with that.

If you declare yourself as a sole trader for refining then you will open up a whole pandora's box. The world of pain that will descend upon you from the Environment agency, and the sheer cost involved in conforming to, and paying for licences, will be diabolical.

Personally I'd suggest laying out some cash this month on a whole load of Nitric.

Thanks for the reply spaceships.

But does that not depend on what you are refining? I know about the WEEE regulations, but what about jewellery and/or dental scrap? I'm not currently refining, I buy carat scrap at the moment, but I am thinking about it. Any information on UK regulations would be helpful for me at this point.

I find the hole way people try to control naturally occurring molecules hilarious.
nitrates in particular is a source of constant amusement,every time I am in the Loo at the Pub I giggle as I am producing what was at one time one of the most valuable resources in the country.
In the past before they learned how to make ammonia and Nitrates for them self's people use to go around competing for and even killing to get hold of the effluent from Moistener's and Inn's.
The term "Taking the Piss " was an actual action where some one has stolen a very valuable commodity and run off,it was vital and controlled for the defense of the realm and preventing up starts from making there own munition's
So in a very real way governments are still taking the "Urine",Well our nitrate based compound's and acids so some thing never change.

Back