Cyanide waste treatment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

All

Perivously on my telecomm boards post, I generated 1.5 gallons of cyanide waste solution, which I tried to decompose based on my understanding of GoldSilverPro's post. Please comment.

Here is the waste cyanide solution,
image.jpg

Inserted 2 stainless steel rods from computer scraps,
image.jpg

Power it up at 6V, 4A, white foams apperraed from rod to another and I left there.
image.jpg

Thanks
Kevin

What oxidant was used? Did you use H2O2 or m-NBSS? The color looks like m-NBSS. If it is, breaking down the cyanide with electrolysis will not be as successful. In any case, you won't be able to decompose all the cyanide with electrolysis. I used electrolysis as a first step and then used bleach. Were I you, I would use 4metals' method using an ORP meter.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5404&p=49233&hilit=cyanide+bleach+orp+meter#p49233

Chris,

I used m-nbss as oxidizer, I will use 4metals method. Regarding using peroxide I gave it a try this morning per your posts, here is the formula I calculated, I used 300ml of tab water, 2.4g of NaCN, and 1.4 ml of 35% peroxide, boiled water dissolved cyanide, put the parts in, added 1.4 ml peroxide, swirled but I still could see gold platings, so I added 2 ml of peroxide, and still nothing, but I added 5 ml and some of the pins stripped, but mostly not touched. So I rinsed and left it ti l I get the m-nbss.
Thanks so much in advance, your comments are such a great value. So when using peroxide the color of solution doesnt change correct?

Thanks and regards
Kevin

Back