How do I buy and sell THIS?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damman

A contact in Uganda (that I know personally because I'm sure that will come up) wants to sell me what your seeing in the 2 pictures I've attached. It's apparently 100% pure, but how the hell do I get it from Uganda to Canada then sell it again?

Obvious to say, I'm oblivious about the market and legal ramifications.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 709
  • 2.png
    2.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 709
Here we go again... either you are trying to scam or you are being scammed.

One of many older threads... http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=18897&start=0

NobleMetalWorks have written a lot about similar scams.

Göran

Göran

The question was more hypothetical than anything. I click on the link you posted and the situation isn't similar at all.

Let's say I myself find these bags on the side of some railroad tracks in Uganda, how could I possibly trade it? I don't think I can just ship it to canada either. Even if I did I wouldn't know what to do with it once I have it in Canada.

Now the physicist in me woke up... plastic bags, hilarious! :lol:

First picture, I just measured my own thumb, using that as a reference the gold in the bag is about 20x20 cm area. It seems to be quite deep, maybe 4 cm average. That gives 1.6 liters of gold = 1.6*19.3 = 31 kilos!

Have you ever tried to lift 30 kilos in a plastic bag like that? It would rip apart at once.

30 kilos... worth close to 1.3 million dollars, you would think they could afford some better way to store the gold than an old plastic bag?

What if they have melted tin and gold plated it? Tin weighs 19.3 / 7.3 times less than gold, it would weight around 12 kilos. That could be carried in a plastic bag.

Now, the second picture... is that a plastic lid that have been crudely photoshopped out? Let's be conservative and say it is 15 cm across and square. (The handle of the plastic bag gives some feeling of the size).
Area 30x30 cm, depth 7.5 cm => 6.75 liters => 130 kilos. Oh yeah, lift that bag without ripping it apart!

By the way, if the original post is edited I will upload the pictures again, I have saved it on my computer already.

Be reasonable, as Harold says, Money never comes looking for people!

Göran

Damman said:
The question was more hypothetical than anything. I click on the link you posted and the situation isn't similar at all.

Let's say I myself find these bags on the side of some railroad tracks in Uganda, how could I possibly trade it? I don't think I can just ship it to canada either. Even if I did I wouldn't know what to do with it once I have it in Canada.
How is this hypothetical?

Damman said:
A contact in Uganda (that I know personally because I'm sure that will come up) wants to sell me what your seeing in the 2 pictures I've attached. It's apparently 100% pure, but how the hell do I get it from Uganda to Canada then sell it again?

Obvious to say, I'm oblivious about the market and legal ramifications.
Even if the thread I linked to wasn't exactly like your situation it doesn't matter. What you are talking about is a scam in one way or another and that is how we are dealing with scams here.
Do some search, you had been a member for 30 minutes when you posted your first post, not a lot searching done in that time, eh?
One of the rules of the forum is : do a proper search before asking questions since almost anything you can think of have already been discussed many times.

And what to do with gold in Canada, don't you have "Cash for gold" in Canada? :mrgreen:

Göran

Indeed people come looking for money! Thanks, that was more the kind of reply I was looking for.

The "photoshopped" portion was my contact's work ID card. I wanted him to remain anonymous so I scrubbed it in Paint. I'm not so fancy as to use photoshop. However those are the original pictures I uploaded. I only edited some typos and spelling mistakes. The contact's contact is Congolese and apparently sells to Ugandans and Indians 10K a kilo since, apparently, they are not sanctioned to sell so freely on the international market. I'm sure you've heard of the mining story concerning uganda/congo since 1980...

In any case, plastic bags... I thought about the ripping of the bag just by the looks of it. But would you carry around that much gold in a nice briefcase around Africa? Would be dangerous to raise suspicion.

Nonetheless I understand that bells are ringing, but there's the possibility that they just have too much to sell... I've done business with this guy for 6 years without incident, not like THIS though, so I guess it's my friend getting con'ed by the Congolese gentlemen?..

And what to do with gold in Canada, don't you have "Cash for gold" in Canada?

Göran

Haha, I wouldn't presume to show up with nuggets. And no, I didn't do a lot of research, so I signed up and did some.

From the thread that didn't concerned your situation...
Harold_V said:
I've occasionally posted an opinion that relates to this thread. It is in the form of a question, and I'll repeat it here:
When is the last time you, or anyone, saw money looking for people? That's what this implies. Said another way, "we have at least 32,000 troy ounces of gold per month that we hope to share with you. Please make us an offer we can't refuse".

I believe it. Doesn't everyone have that volume of gold and not have an established network?

If this outfit was legitimate, they'd have, long ago, established an account with the likes of Johnson Matthey.

Anytime, and I do mean *ANYTIME*, someone wants to share their money with you, you best take a very good look at the offer, as it most likely isn't real.

Caveat emptor.

Harold

In a deal like this it's always someone that is scammed. You better wake up and realize how the world is really working if you think that...

Damman said:
Nonetheless I understand that bells are ringing, but there's the possibility that they just have too much to sell...

Göran

I agreed with Harold. I feel that there is about a 6% chance that this isn't a scam. However it came from someone I've done business with for a long time so I was compelled to ask the question that keeps getting dodged... It's likely my contact is getting scammed, it's just that from everything I know there shouldn't be a reason why this isn't real other than so-called "life lessons in logic."

The possibility for this to be a scam is exactly the reason why the question is hypothetical.

Damman said:
Let's say I myself find these bags on the side of some railroad tracks in Uganda

They my find something on the side of the tracks in Uganda, but it won't be those bags it will be your body.
Also the fact that you have posted on an open forum that you are looking for ways to circumnavigate customs is a good way to find the feds at your door!

Those pictures are totally fake. Only a fool would believe they are real. Look at the first picture, the sides of the bag are not even slightly bulging from the weight of all that gold.... hilarious is right Goran :lol:
Who carries gold around in a garbage bag? Heck, I have a hard enough time carrying in my rolled up nickles and dimes into the bank with a plastic bag, never mind gold bullion!

What is it? You do not say that it is Gold, it doesn't look like Gold, so what is it? It is 100% pure something, but what?

Damman said:
I agreed with Harold. I feel that there is about a 6% chance that this isn't a scam. However it came from someone I've done business with for a long time so I was compelled to ask the question that keeps getting dodged... It's likely my contact is getting scammed, it's just that from everything I know there shouldn't be a reason why this isn't real other than so-called "life lessons in logic."

The possibility for this to be a scam is exactly the reason why the question is hypothetical.

how much and what type of business have you done with this person ?
i agree that plastic bags will not hold that much gold.

Looks like that dude is giving you the international peace sign with his finger !!! :mrgreen:

There's a toast in West Africa: WAWA (West African Wins Again.)

I've heard it with my own ears. They were celebrating having taken someone to the cleaners. I asked the Waiter what it meant. He laughed and told me. :mrgreen:

You know.
I had two blokes in a clapped out Cortina offer me the exact same thing.
Of course it was on the Moss Side estate .It is good to see some things are universal.
But really making such an offer to well versed individuals is hilarious.
I am sure if you actually had something of value you would turn up at just about any civilized country with out any problem.

An African offering to sell you gold. 'nuff said.

Next you'll be helping him transfer his trapped inheritance out of Uganda....

Mug.

Hay don't put down the African's.
I have a number of Nigerian and Gannon students who bring me a little bit of low grade jewelry every term.
All are very nice and polite.they are mortified by the number of hustlers coming from there home country's.
I am Irish and hate with a vengeance any Other Bog Trotter who brings the reputation of my home country down and helps reinforce negative stereo type's.
Of course My errant countrymen will only offer to do your drive on the cheep in a way that will fall apart in two day's and not try to get you on your own in the middle of the African Bush..

Palladium said:
Damman said:
Let's say I myself find these bags on the side of some railroad tracks in Uganda

They my find something on the side of the tracks in Uganda, but it won't be those bags it will be your body.
Also the fact that you have posted on an open forum that you are looking for ways to circumnavigate customs is a good way to find the feds at your door!

Ya... that's why I used a secured network (tor)

Back