Gold cyanide waste treatment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnwillow

I acquired a few gallons of gold plating solutions. I raised the pH to 11 with NaOH and used zinc powder to recover gold.

In the first stage of treatment, hypochlorite oxidizes cyanide to cyanate. This reaction is accomplished most completely and rapidly under alkaline conditions at pH 10 or higher (preferred range is 11.0 to 11.5) (ref. 38). An oxidation period of 10 to 15 minutes is usually adequate (ref. 38); however retention times up to 60 minutes are routinely used (ref. 39, 348). An ORP set-point of approximately +325 millivolts is adequate for most operations. A higher set-point may be needed, depending on the composition of the wastewater. A set-point of +400 millivolts is considered a maximum point (ref. 38). Potassium iodide-starch test paper, which indicates residual chlorine, is sometimes used to determine if the reaction is complete (ref. 243). To avoid producing solid cyanide precipitates, which may resist chlorination, the wastewater should be continuously and vigorously mixed during treatment (ref. 38, 39). The resulting cyanate is further oxidized to carbon dioxide and nitrogen in the second stage. In this stage, the pH is lowered to approximately 8.5 and additional hypochlorite is added. An ORP reading of +600 to +800 generally signals a complete reaction. The retention time of the second stage is typically 30 to 60 minutes; however, times of 120 minutes are sometimes specified (ref. Delta Pollution Control File).

Although a two-tank system is preferred, complete cyanide oxidation to carbon dioxide and nitrogen can be accomplished in a single-stage unit, provided close pH control is maintained (ref. 39).

When sodium hypochlorite is used, the reaction in the first stage is:

NaCN + NaOCl - -> NaCNO + NaCl
and in the second stage,

2NaCNO + 3NaOCl + H2O - -> 3NaCl + N2 + 2NaHCO3
Sodium hypochlorite consumption is usually estimated to be 25 to 100 percent greater than the stoichiometric requirement (approximately 7 lbs of Cl2 or 7.5 lbs of NaOCl per lb of CN); where the excess is consumed by oxidation of organics and raising the valences of metals in the wastewater (ref. 39). The results of the Users Survey indicate that most shops are using substantially higher dosages (up to five hundred percent or more). Higher dosages by respondents may be the result of the formation of metal complexes (e.g., due to inadvertently combining cyanide and nickel or iron bearing wastewaters, use of unlined steel tanks, use of steel anode baskets and not retrieving fallen parts from tank bottoms) and/or poor pH control during treatment. The latter reason is especially apparent for several shops that operate single stage cyanide destruction processes and do not add acid to lower the pH. As a result, the second part of the oxidation reaction is slow and operators probably add higher dosages of NaOCl to compensate for the speed of the reaction. Shops operating under these conditions include: PS 058, PS 135, PS 204 and PS 210. It should be noted that acid additions must be made under the correct conditions or a severe safety problem could arise. Dilute acid is sometimes used in place of concentrated acid to reduce the danger of operating this process (ref. 243). Also, some equipment vendors provide a caustic feed capability that is controlled by an independent set-point, usually at a pH of 7.5 (ref. 38). The use of acid in the alkaline chlorination process is discussed by Roy (ref. 38).

Alkaline chlorination systems have generally proven reliable if well maintained. Use of a well-designed ORP control system is highly recommended. Most problems with the system focus on failures of this element. Exhibit 6-7 shows the response of various electrodes to the cyanide-to-cyanate reaction end point. The graph shows that the gold-plated electrode, although more expensive, gives much better reagent addition control (ref. 39).

Without an ORP meter how would you perform such task?

Okay. I'm buying the cheap $100 ORP meter.

An ORP meter has many uses in refining.
1) Cyanide destruction
2) Denoxing / Checking Nitric acid
3) Checking scrubber liquids (H202/NaOH)

Not sure what else it could do.

What are the readings I should look for when denoxing and checking scrubber liquids?

Bump this topic. Has anyone performed this task?

I followed the instructions as stated above, but I wonder what the white precipitates are?

Attachments

• 20160516_150602.jpg
    20160516_150602.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
Right. Let's discuss that.

The only way cyanide can kill you is by ingesting it, skin contact and inhaling it.

Now. How would one avoid such?
Obviously the first two is common sense.

Inhaling it when HCN is produced is the most deadliest part because you will never see it coming.
In order to avoid such, the solution where free cyanide is present should be kept alkaline, preferably at pH 10 or more.
HCN is produced when an acid is added to a free cyanide solution or when the solution becomes acidic.
HCN can be produced when a container containing cyanide has degraded possibly from seal leaks, heat and light.

And of course when dealing with such deadly chemicals, you should be doing everything in a fume hood.

The white powder coming out is probably Zn(OH)2 produced from decomposition of Zn complexes and/or zincate anion in the strongly alkaline medium. Doing the chlorination of cyanide (usually just straight chlorine is piped through the solution until it passes the prussic acid test) is something that requires a few thing more than an ORP meter just for the safety aspect. Even then, in the US, the solution so treated is still a listed hazardous waste.

Ingestion takes about 3/100 of a gram of sodium cyanide to kill you, if I remember right. It may be less.

Inhaling whatever is coming off of a room temperature alkaline cyanide solution (actually, there is little or nothing coming off) won't hurt you. However, if acid gets mixed with dry cyanide or cyanide solution, extremely toxic HCN, hydrogen cyanide fumes will be emitted. This is the way they executed people in prisons awhile back. They sealed the small room off and lowered sodium cyanide"eggs" into a container of sulfuric acid.

If the solution gets on your skin, wash it off well with water. If it feels slick, there's still some on your skin. I used to keep a bucket of about 2 to 3 percent HCl in the back of the room when working with cyanide. If I got cyanide on my hands, I would rinse them thoroughly with running water and them swish them around in the very weak acid. You can feel the slickness immediately disappear. I them rewashed them.

When working with cyanide, I always roll my sleeves way up. I would rather get it on my skin, where I could wash it off, than on my clothing, where I couldn't.

When I got some in a cut or scratch, it would tend to fester if it weren't washed off quickly.

About 1/3 of the population has a sensitivity to what they call "cyanide itch". I'm one of those people. If I get cyanide solution on the tops of my fingers or the soft underneath of my forearm, I sometimes get this "itch" if I don't get it rinsed off quick enough. The itch is a lot of tiny blister-like bumps that itches like crazy. I also get them bad while working over a hot cyanide solution. One time, I had it so bad my eyes were nearly closed shut. The only thing that eases the itching seems to be hot water. One time, I got some solution on my clothing and my wife got the "itch" from washing my clothes. She wasn't happy. The only way to cure the itch is to stop working with cyanide for a few days.

There is a similar malady from working with nickel solutions call "nickel itch." I never had problems with it.

Wear gloves. Some places I worked, I had long black butyl rubber gloves that went all the way to my shoulders. Sometimes, I wore a full length rubber apron (weighed about 15 pounds). Always wear a full welder's clear plastic face shield or, at the least, goggles. You mustn't allow a drop of the cyanide solution to get in your eye, mainly due to the alkalinity of the solution. It could blind you. I also prefer near knee-high rubber boots.

Don't eat, drink, or smoke around cyanide solutions. Use common sense.

Stay safe

Back