Separate Tin from Solder Wire(Need Tin(II)chloride)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnilSuthar

I need to make some Stannous chloride to test gold in solution. I can not find any tin here in India. We don't use canned food, so no cans. The only option I have is the solder wire. I have grade 60 40 tin wire, so it has 60% tin as google tells :D . I have searched google and youtube for any process by which I can separate tin from lead, but I got nothing.
Is there any way to separate tin from lead?
End goal is Stannous chloride, so if there is any other way to make that, please tell.

Thank you.

Instead of searching google or youtube for bad advice, search this forum.

Göran

I think you'll actually have difficulty finding that information. If you can find "lead free" solder, it is usually 95% tin 5% antimony and it will work to make stannous chloride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anil, your solder will work as it is. Just dissolve it in HCl. The lead won't affect its use any more than if there was lead dissolved in the solution you're testing.

Dave

Dissolving in HCl will precipitate most of the lead as lead chloride anyhow, just flatten the solder as thin as possible as it will build up a crust of lead chloride when it is dissolved.

Göran

goldsilverpro said:
Some pewter alloys would probably work.
Yeah, I make my stannous from an old pewter bowl. That bowl would probably last for the rest of my refining career. :D

Göran

Pewter will have a few percent copper as it's contaminate, sometimes a little lead. So as long as you are comparing to good standards, you won't have a problem.

I love tin and have been buying it for years.

snoman701 said:
Pewter will have a few percent copper as it's contaminate, sometimes a little lead. So as long as you are comparing to good standards, you won't have a problem.

Sno could you explain the underlined part for me please?

anachronism said:
snoman701 said:

Sno could you explain the underlined part for me please?

I keep a small bottle of chloroauric acid as a standard, to test my stannous prior to use. It gives me a clear positive so that nothing is left to question should my stannous be old.

I guess I'd consider it especially important if I were using tin with unknown contaminants.

The contamination in pewter when making stannous chloride is virtually negligible. There are so much contamination in the liquids we are testing and it still works.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
The contamination in pewter when making stannous chloride is virtually negligible. There are so much contamination in the liquids we are testing and it still works.

Göran

Absolutely 100% agree Goran. At a push you can even use the HCL you've used to wash the solder from processors or motherboards. The tin content works just fine, I've tried it.

All the above are great responses. Makes the suggestion I’m about to make much less important, but ...
You could try Roto Metals. Check out
https://www.rotometals.com/tin-popcorn-flakes-99-9-pure/

I don’t know if they will ship to India or for how much, but it’s an option if you want some pure tin.

However, the suggestions regarding your solder are probably all you need.
7100DBB2-6563-4168-8F61-2C17D7C10A3D.jpeg

22 bucks for a lb of tin... Maybe Im looking for and refining the wrong metals...

Between tin flakes and copper powder, I wouldnt need to worry about dry spells of finding PM scrap to buy and refine..

Topher_osAUrus said:
22 bucks for a lb of tin... Maybe Im looking for and refining the wrong metals...

Between tin flakes and copper powder, I wouldnt need to worry about dry spells of finding PM scrap to buy and refine..

This is one of the benefits of having boards refined at a refinery. You're paid on the copper at the full market price (less their deductions per tonne, which are not onerous) and this usually pays for all your refinery fees/transport etc.

Topher_osAUrus said:

No joke. :D

When I cherry pick north/south bridge chips with heat gun, I gather solder left underneath.
It is ball grid array solder and should contain about 90% of tin and about 10% of silver. When
dissolved in HCl, you end up with Tin(II)Chloride and grayish sediment, which should be silver.
Filter it, or just decant it, and you have almost pure Tin(II)chloride. Works for me.

Back