Stannous Chloride from Pure Tin? No Crystals.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARMCO

Supporting Member
Wherever I have looked so far I see recipes for stannous chloride involving crystal preparations. I have some pure tin (popcorned) and would like to make my own without the need for the crystals. I already have the tin and HCl. I have some crystal stannous as well but I have much more tin and would like to just make my own.

If this has already been addressed on this forum somewhere can someone point me to the post? Otherwise, recommendations??

Thank you in advance.

Scott

Take about 3 grams and add to beaker with watch glass. Add 30ml of hcl. Heat on med heat until tin is dissolved or reaction stops. Add to your choice of dropper bottle and place a small piece of tin in the bottle to keep the solution fresh.

Palladium said:
Take about 3 grams and add to beaker with watch glass. Add 30ml of hcl. Heat on med heat until tin is dissolved or reaction stops. Add to your choice of dropper bottle and place a small piece of tin in the bottle to keep the solution fresh.

That sounds simple and straightforward. Thank you very much. :D

BTW. I believe your YouTube videos were some of the first I watched when I started working with silver in mid to late 2015. Thank you for sharing.

Palladium said:
A bit of warning here, if the tin is fully dissolved and there is unreacted hydrochloric acid left, then placing it in a dropper bottle with some tin will build up pressure until the bulb blows, spraying the vicinity in stannous chloride and acid... don't ask how I know that. By the way, I have a t-shirt with some interesting patterns on it. :lol:

There is a few links at the bottom of this page, the second one is how Lazersteve makes it from tin.
http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Stannous_chloride

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Palladium said:
A bit of warning here, if the tin is fully dissolved and there is unreacted hydrochloric acid left, then placing it in a dropper bottle with some tin will build up pressure until the bulb blows, spraying the vicinity in stannous chloride and acid... don't ask how I know that. By the way, I have a t-shirt with some interesting patterns on it. :lol:

There is a few links at the bottom of this page, the second one is how Lazersteve makes it from tin.

Göran

Thank you very much

Hola, buenas noches: Si como parece debo mantener el cloruro de estaño sin oxigeno, y si tapo el tapon estalla, ¿ cual es la solucion.?
por cierto, mi gotero se inflo como un globo, pero lo abri a tiempo.
Gracias por la educacion.

Lösningen är att inte skruva på korken förrän all syra är förbrukad. Du får gasutveckling då det finns metalliskt tenn och syra i samma behållare.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Palladium said:

Göran

Yes, be carefull with that. Dissolving metals in HCl will produce hydrogen gas.

Back