Silver oxide, caustic soda and sugar

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellorath

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me with the complete reactions of AgCl to solid Ag. I just couldn't find it anywhere.. :roll:

Thanks!!

Hi again,

I have seen in the videos, that first caustic and then adding syrup to the mixture. I want to understand it in reaction steps. I would appreciate so much if you guys write the reactions in steps like what happens first adding caustic and then syrup.

Ellorath said:
Hi again,

I have seen in the videos, that first caustic and then adding syrup to the mixture. I want to understand it in reaction steps. I would appreciate so much if you guys write the reactions in steps like what happens first adding caustic and then syrup.

The bit you missed off was "thanks guys for the answer to the question I asked." 8) 8)

I can understand the inorganic chemistry fairly well, but here we are dealing with organic chemistry, which is a different ball game, Someone with an understanding of organic chemistry can better explain just how the glucose is converted to gluconate during the reduction of silver salt to metal.
I do believe Lou has discussed this in his earlier posts on the subject.

2 AgCl + 2 NaOH -> 2NaCl + Ag2O + H2O

Ag2O + C6H12O6 + NaOH → 2 Ag + C6H11O7Na + H2O

Global
2 AgCl + C6H12O6 + 3 NaOH -> 2 Ag + C6H11O7Na + 2 H2O + 2 NaCl

Glucose to sodium gluconate

If it is interesting someone, some silver oxide is complexed in the soluble state, NaAg(OH)2

Attachments

• Silver (1) solubility.jpg
    Silver (1) solubility.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 135
Lino1406 said:
If it is interesting someone, some silver oxide is complexed in the soluble state, NaAg(OH)2

I would like to hear more on this subject!

Silver is one of the Amphoteric metals, which can dissolve in excess basic solutions.
So I can see where some of the silver would be soluble if excess caustic is used to oxidize the silver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphoterism
http://dwb5.unl.edu/chem/smallscale/SmallScale-078.html

Sometimes, but not always i get a hint of silver chloride when washing silver with hcl after a silver chloride/NaOH/sugar conversion.

Hi again,

Sorry I am new here and will learn the code:)
Thank you all for sharing great information with me! May the gold be with you! Amen :D :G

Ellorath

Back