To increase the concentration of a very volatile solvent

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jash

i am trying to recover a solvent called monomethyl amine it is a volatile compound maximum solubility of this is 40%with water i want to increase its concentration ....i am trying purging operations but can recover only 17%.
okay let me tell u in brief i made a 15%solution of MMA (monomethylammine).....my aim was to make it 30%solution ie ..reducing the water content in the solution since its boiling point is lower than that of water many unit operations were ruled out from my list
so i tried simple distillation partially ie the vapours that came out from distillation of 15%soln i directly purged it into the water surrounded by ice bath to reduce the temperature of vapours ..
but this resulted ,me to get only 17% concentration ...how can i increase concentration upyo 40% plzzz help me on this on a urgent basis

This is a precious metal refining forum so there are few organic chemistry experts here. I've never heard about monomethyl amine before so I don't know if these methods works.

- Freezing, if water freezes before monomethyl amine then the remaining solution would be more concentrated. If monomethyl amine freezes before water then keep the solids.

- Use molecular sieves, it is used for drying various solvents.

- Use another solvent to extract it into, then distill that mixture.

- Ask on a chemistry forum.

No guarantee that any method would work.

Göran

It's used to make a lot of good things, but it is also used as a building block to synthesize meth.

Back