is smb selective for gold only

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwalyack

My sources of gold is slags from the old gold and silver processing plant.. The same slags is high in iron content...I clashed the slag to fine powder 200mesh to make sure it dissolve well in acid...I prepared aqua reiga acid and disolved my slag in it and after some time the liquid turn emerald green..I filtered the solution to make sure its clear..after that I added smb wic started precipitating and dropping the brown powder on the bottom... I took the precipitated brown washed it with water thoroughly and dried it ...when I took it for fire assay no gold came out...I need your help

Welcome to the forum.
How do you know there is any gold in the slags, if this was a gold processing plant they are not likely to leave any behind, you can test your supposed pregnant solution using stannous chloride to see if you have got any gold in your solution.

Your brown powder is more than likely iron oxide. The solution is green not because of copper, but iron. If you're leaching gold from iron unless you dissolve EVERYTHING then your gold is going to cement back out on the iron and not be in the solution.

When you filtered the solution you probably diluted it causing the iron to precipitate because of the dilution. Was the smb dissolve in water and added or added dry?
Wash some of the powder in warm hcl and see if it dissolves.

Back