Help with Rhodium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lino1406 said:
To hot sulphuric acid, HCl or NaCl should be added under hood of course

Hi Lino, of course safety first ! but i need a detailed process to follow or explanation why nothing works for me ?. Thanks

Lino is telling you to add Hcl or salt to hot sulphuric but definitely under a hood to dissolve the rhodium.

I would surely be careful when adding anything to hot sulfuric and would do it very slowly in increments. This goes double for chlorides or any liquid. Wear a full face shield and long rubber gloves, if you have them. Stir gently after additions. If adding liquids, don't pour them into one spot - move your additions around.

You will need to grind the rhodium powder together with the pyrosulfate, then heat in muffle oven in a covered beaker at 550ºC for at least 1 hour.

The maximum conversion I got was 80%.

Here are some pictures:
Ground Rhodium powder with pyrosulfate (K2S2O7)
IMG_0695.JPG
Small Batch 1
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0949.JPG
Small Batch 2
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1511.JPG

I’m sure you are aware of the dangers of working with PGMs but a warning to others the salts are very toxic and need careful handling and very good lab practice !

nickvc said:
I’m sure you are aware of the dangers of working with PGMs but a warning to others the salts are very toxic and need careful handling and very good lab practice !
Absolutly right nickvc !.
I profit to thanks all of who helped me out here. 8)

Back