cellphone

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuli

HI,

I just get 1.3 kg of cell phone and I so much silver. How can i desolve silver for pure gold

PLEASE PLEASE

Attachments

• cellphone recovery.jpg
    cellphone recovery.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 530
Hi

I put cellphone boards to HCl and peroxide. And then filtering. I didn't burn them in first place.. My mistake. Now I must desolve silver.. If I put amoniaka OK.. I don't want to lose gold.. Thx

kuli said:
Hi

I put cellphone boards to HCl and peroxide. And then filtering. I didn't burn them in first place.. My mistake. Now I must desolve silver.. If I put amoniaka OK.. I don't want to lose gold.. Thx

How much gold are you expecting from 1.3 kg of cell phone boards?

The solution in the picture looks to be very dilute, the white powders is likely to be tin, lead, and copper.
I doubt much silver but it is also possible.

Collect white powder, wash with water, Heat powders in a volume of water (not boiling but as hot as possible).

The goal is to use heat to dissolve some of the white powder (lead) while leaving the undissolved white powder (lead and CuCl)on the bottom of the vessel without disturbing or stirring it up into solution while being heated (and decanted)...

Lead chloride is pretty soluble in hot water (very little lead chloride will dissolve in cold water).
Decant the solution while hot, while letting any powders which are not dissolved settle, (silver chloride can be kind of fluffy and take time to settle). move solution to a cooling jar to cool the solution, most of the lead will come back out of solution when the water cools (forming needle-like crystals, This cooler solution can be reused to collect some more of lead from the powders when reheated and the procedure repeated.

Now add HCl acid to the powders, the acid will convert the copper(I) chloride (CuCL) powders into copper (II) chloride (CUCl2), dissolving the copper back into solution as ions Cu+2.

The silver chloride if any is not soluble in hot water, it is not soluble in HCl. wash these powders in water removing free acids, the white powders will darken to gray-violet to black in sunlight, confirming it is silver...

Tin makes the solution very hard to filter, it really does not precipitate or dissolve well into solution, more of a gunky solution of SnCl2 and SnCl4... Tin is the refiners enemy.

Without good questions, it is hard to get good answers, the more we understand the problem the better the answer will be.

Hi

Thanks for answer.. Now I washed it and then starting decant and get HCl tu put..

Now I have second question.. I have got cell phones pins cover with plastic..

What is better to make. I want to make AR.. Or is must get all pins out and then AR..

Please

Attachments

• 15347879644892991509421505664264.jpg
    15347879644892991509421505664264.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 401
Some small corrections...
butcher said:
The goal is to use heat to dissolve some of the white powder (lead chloride) while leaving the undissolved white powder (lead and CuCl)on the bottom of the vessel without disturbing or stirring it up into solution while being heated (and decanted)...
I guess the second mentioning of lead should be tin based on your later text.

butcher said:
Now add HCl acid to the powders, the acid will convert the copper(I) chloride (CuCL) powders into copper (II) chloride (CUCl2), dissolving the copper back into solution as ions Cu+2.
HCl doesn't convert CuCl into CuCl2. It dissolves it but the conversion takes an oxidizer, for example oxygen from air.

As for the rest of the text, I fully agree.

Göran

My suggestions to a beginner, if you have any desire of profiting on this venture:
---NEVER look at another cell phone.
---NEVER look at another circuit board, unless it's made for some hi-tech military application or unless it has some hi-value components that you can cherry pick or unless it's at least 40 years old, although they made a lot of garbage back then also.
---Beware of modern circuit boards that are all gold plated, like many cellphone boards - the gold is usually super thin and is usually only worth about 3 cents per square inch.
---Thin gold usually looks exactly like thick gold.
---In many cases, bright shiny gold plating is thinner than dull, matte gold plating
---Be very selective on the material you process.
---Learn how to evaluate material and set up to do it - that would be my very first investment, if I were to start another refinery.
---Obtain or build a fume hood so you can do all this nasty, fumey, toxic stuff inside.
---Look for good non-electronic scrap.
---Find scrappers that can provide electronic scrap that they have already dismantled and sorted.
---Look for good silver scrap (But NOT silver plate!).
---There are 100s of items out there that will turn a profit, unlike about 90% of all circuit boards.
---Beware of youtube processes unless they are made by, or reviewed and recommended by, reliable members on this forum.
---Buy low, sell high.
---Experiment with very small amounts.
---Study, study, study the forum. It's, by a wide margin, the #1 mother lode of precious metals refining information on the internet

---I'll probably keep adding to this list.

goldsilverpro said:
My suggestions to a beginner, if you have any desire of profiting on this venture:
---NEVER look at another cell phone.
---NEVER look at another circuit board, unless it's made for some hi-tech military application or unless it has some hi-value components that you can cherry pick or unless it's at least 40 years old, although they made a lot of garbage back then also.
---Beware of modern circuit boards that are all gold plated, like many cellphone boards - the gold is usually super thin and is usually only worth about 3 cents per square inch.
---Thin gold usually looks exactly like thick gold.
---In many cases, bright shiny gold plating is thinner than dull, matte gold plating
---Be very selective on the material you process.
---Learn how to evaluate material and set up to do it - that would be my very first investment, if I were to start another refinery.
---Obtain or build a fume hood so you can do all this nasty, fumey, toxic stuff inside.
---Look for good non-electronic scrap.
---Find scrappers that can provide electronic scrap that they have already dismantled and sorted.
---Look for good silver scrap (But NOT silver plate!).
---There are 100s of items out there that will turn a profit, unlike about 90% of all circuit boards.
---Beware of youtube processes unless they are made by, or reviewed and recommended by, reliable members on this forum.
---Buy low, sell high.
---Experiment with very small amounts.
---Study, study, study the forum. It's, by a wide margin, the #1 mother lode of precious metals refining information on the internet

---I'll probably keep adding to this list.
Please do! Very wise information . . . :D
Unfortunately, I'm learning most of it the hard way. :oops:

Hi
I wash it with water. Decant it and then in worm solution put HCl...

But now I hva that thing with gold...
How can I get only gold folks?

Please

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_181843.jpg
    IMG_20180822_181843.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 308
g_axelsson said:
Some small corrections...
butcher said:
The goal is to use heat to dissolve some of the white powder (lead chloride) while leaving the undissolved white powder (lead and CuCl)on the bottom of the vessel without disturbing or stirring it up into solution while being heated (and decanted)...
I guess the second mentioning of lead should be tin based on your later text.

butcher said:
HCl doesn't convert CuCl into CuCl2. It dissolves it but the conversion takes an oxidizer, for example oxygen from air.

As for the rest of the text, I fully agree.

Göran

The solution in the picture looks to be very dilute, the white powders are likely to be tin, lead, and copper.
I doubt much silver but it is also possible.

Collect white powder, wash with water, Heat powders in a volume of water (not boiling but as hot as possible).

The goal is to use heat to dissolve some of the white powder (lead) while leaving the undissolved white powder (silver and CuCl)on the bottom of the vessel without disturbing or stirring it up into solution while being heated (and decanted)...

Lead chloride is pretty soluble in hot water (very little lead chloride will dissolve in cold water).
Decant the solution while hot, while letting any powders which are not dissolved settle, (silver chloride can be kind of fluffy and take time to settle). move the solution to a cooling jar to cool the solution, most of the lead will come back out of solution when the water cools (forming needle-like crystals, This cooler solution can be reused to collect some more of lead from the powders when reheated and the procedure repeated.

The silver chloride if any is not soluble in hot water, it is not soluble in HCl. wash these powders in water removing free acids, the white powders will darken to gray-violet to black in sunlight, confirming it is silver...

Tin makes the solution very hard to filter, it really does not precipitate or dissolve well into solution, more of a gunky solution of SnCl2 and SnCl4... Tin is the refiner's enemy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_chloride

Copper(I) chloride, commonly called cuprous chloride, is the lower chloride of copper, with the formula CuCl. The substance is a white solid sparingly soluble in water, but very soluble in concentrated hydrochloric acid.

Without good questions, it is hard to get good answers, the more we understand the problem the better the answer will be.

To try and correct what others may see as misinformation

The white cuprous chloride powders will dissolve into the concentrated HCl giving a dark brown solution of soluble cuprous and cupric chloride salts, any iron chloride will also go into solution as well as other base metals.

The point I was trying to make was that the white copper (I) chloride will dissolve into the HCl, No, it will not be green or just CuCl2 alone unless we add oxygen, which here we do not want to do.

If we added oxygen or say H2O2 to this concentrated HCl wash we could dissolve the white cuprous chloride giving a bright green solution of cupric chloride (not cupric chloride loaded with soluble brown cuprous chloride), but then we would take a chance of dissolving any fine gold powder...

Back