White precipitate using copper to cement PGM's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickRag

Hi guys,

My previous posts were in regard to difficulties cementing Pd and Pt using copper bus bar stock from chloride solutions from which all gold had been dropped. I kept geting a positive SnCl reaction that has become another topic for others to discuss regarding electromotive potentials etc. of specific ion valences in the presence of Sn.

In reference to my original issue, I appeared to have solved my cementation problem by heating the AR solution containing Pd and maybe Pt having dropped to gold using SMB. In some instances, a LOT of SMB due to an excess of NO3 left in solution from the nitric. Anyway, I ended up with a lot of solution (8L) that was reluctant to cement the values at room temperature suing an air bubbler for agitation. Accordingly, after getting a suitable result with simple heating of the AR, I discarded the initial spent solution and proceeded to heat 2L portions from the origianl reluctant 8L. I was also using a rather thin copper plate rather than the thicker bus bar. The 2L sample did appear to have some cementation occur even thoug the solution was mostly barren. The problem I am inquiring about now is that in addition to the solution cementing values it also formed a white-ish precipitate after heating. This precipitate was rather flocculent as it took up the blee color of the copper in solution easily. Is this CuSO4? I am filtering the precipitate and cemented values as we speak but would like to dissolve the white precipitate so it doesn't contaminate what littel Pd may have been cemented. I haven't tried to dissolve it in anything yet so I am waiting for the answer to this post before proceeding. A little help would be appreciated.

Rick

Did you add sulfuric acid to the solution? The precipitate will take on whatever color the solution is. if you can, capture some of this powder to try a couple of experiments on. See if you can rinse the color from the powder without the powder dissolving. If you can rinse the color out, take a small sample and add a few drops of HCl. Did the powder dissolve? If so, what color is the resulting solution? If not, rinse the sample again and add a few drops of ammonia. Did the powder dissolve? If it did, what color is the resulting solution? If not, decant the solution from the remainder of the powder and rinse it well being careful not to decant any dark powder. Add HCl to cover the powder and start adding chlorine bleach by the cap full and waiting a short time and add some more until all of the dark powder has been removed. decant the solution from the powder and heat to near boiling. Evaporate about half the volume and remove from heat and let it cool. Crystals of sodium chloride will form. Decant the solution and rinse the salt with the least amount of chilled water needed to rinse all color from the salt and proceed.

Back