chemical ratios

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldManCometh

Hi people!

I've started to delve into the fine hobby of gold refining, and it has taught me so much so far....invaluable.

my question is I'm making aqua regia which is 1:3 HNO3 and HCI (but you knew that). This might be a very newbish question for some but here it goes. If I have a 800ml beaker, does that equate to 100mm HNO3 to 300 or 400mm of HCI?

thanks in advance :)

Nick

Actually, your very first statement is wrong for practical purposes.

You hardly ever want to pre-mix AR, premixing it means that you are pretty much guaranteed to end up with too much Nitric acid (which is hard to get rid of) in your solution after Gold is dissolved.

Depending on what you are wanting to dissolve, it is almost always better to cover your material in HCl, heat to 65 ish degrees C and add HNO3 in very small increments. Adding only enough to dissolve the target material.

Thanks for the reply
Old circa 70\80 computer chips

Basically let the chips soak in NHO3 untill all metal plating stripped then filter off solution (gold plated materials)
Then yeah dissolve with AR, then separate with Na2S2O5

Cheers

Yes, it does sound pretty easy if you list out the steps, the devil is usually in the details.

For example, when you dissolve your Gold foils with AR, you will almost certainly use too much Nitric acid, you didn't mention how you were intending to get rid of the excess before you attempt precipitation ?

Also, how many of these chips do you have ? Have you smashed them up into small pieces ? You need quite a lot of them to actually recover any visible Gold.

Have you prepared some Stannous Chloride so that you are able to test solutions for the presence of Gold ?

Sounds good. Seen vids on pc extraction. My quest is to pull 24k gold from pyrite without dissolving the iron content. I understand I will have to wohwill a several times to extract 22k- from the 24k to get purest goal. Save the 22k- minus and then pull the 14k- from the 22k- after sodium metabisulfate reforms the gold in each of these stages. If I extract all 24k and not the iron it is not pure 22-24k gold as it will have the other grades in it as well. Post and vids that say this process is the purest didn't do all these steps to refine. I need to know the grade of acid to eat 24k, 22k, 18k 14k, 10k in stages without eating iron pyrite. Any help?

I'd try to help, but your post doesn't make much sense.

You're not going to "pull 24k gold from pyrite". Gold in nature just isn't pure.

You're going to Wohlwill 22K gold from 24K?

We use sodium metabisulfite to precipitate gold from solution, not sodium metabisulfate.

Grades of gold? Grades of acid?

Spend some time reading and studying on the forum and your questions may make more sense to those who can help you.

Dave

Back