saltwater methodology

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwolf365

i know that saltwater can be used to refine PMs to a certain lvl. i plan on building my own cell base on he shor system, in a basic and rudimentary way, to refine gold content to as high a purity as i can. i figure that a system that doesnt use harsh chems/acids is a good way to get my feet wet here. i can move to different methods as my knowledge and experience increases. what i would like to know is if such a method of refining can take the purity lvl up to 5 nines purity some how. if it can, how? do i take the gold refined from the first atempt and run it back through? do i start a new batch of electrolyte? can i use electrolysis to further purify the gold?

also, a question i been wanting to ask is this: once precipitated out of solution, do i have to melt the gold back into a bar or can i, once it is properly rinsed and cleaned of the old electrolyte, just put it in an anode basket and further refine it that way?

i ask because i do not know and hope to avoid any un-needed effort when i do try it out.

Again sorry to burst your bubble but using saltwater does not avoid dangerous chemicals or gases, look up the chemical name for salt and guess which element does the work and which also will gas off.
Precious metals tend to be the least reactive elements to most chemicals which is why we have to use acids such as nitric and Hcl mixed or cyanide, if the thought of handling and using such chemicals scares you then recovery and refining isn’t for you, you can still make money by sourcing buying and then selling scrap and many here do just that and I see no problem with that approach and if you want metals then use the profits to buy coins or bars.

handling dangerous chems does scare me to a point. and thats as it should be. respect the chems and take the proper precautions or youll get hurt. even a noob like me understands that.

i just want to make sure i know what i am doing before i do it. less chance of messing up and/or getting hurt that way.

and yes, i know that salt is sodium chloride and this process releases chlorine gas. ive done some research on it after all, so im not unfamiliar with it.

i see the potential profit in this, and i also see the potential dangers. thats why i want to take the slow, easy, and less dangeous way: to have a better understanding of it before i try it.

and selling sources of refinable scrap on here? good idea, soon as i finds some decent bulk sources, i might just try that.

It seems you're after hypochlorite in situ production. I think it may be more meaningful with dilute ore and not gold of high assay. And about 2nd stage with precipitated gold, almost sure it wo'nt conduct by simply lying on anode basket

Back