Airbubbler

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walcam

So i was wondering a bit about the airbubbler.

The idea is that it should replace the H2O2 in you AP solution and thats all good, however since the airbubbler is using athmospheric air and not pure O2, it contain alot of other gasses.

The air we breathe is primarily Nitrogen 78% and oxygen 21% aproximately

The last 1% is a mix of other gasses Most of these gasses are only trace amounts

But it did make me wonder what the N2 and other gasses do to the solution if anything at all?

Not much I think. For N2 to react you normally need a lot of energy. Take a car engine for instance, nitrogen can react with oxygen due to the high temperature to form NOx.
We don't use temperatures this high in AP :D

As I understand it, the bubbler does not "replace" the peroxide, it simply keeps the O2 level up to keep the reaction going.

The peroxide is only used to jump start the action and get enough copper disolved to make cupric cloride out of the HCL. Once you have created the cupric you only need a little bit of O2 to keep it running. Hence the bubbler.

Find an Oxygen concentrator such as used by someone with breathing problems. I found mine in a thrift store for $2. It seemes to work some better than the fish aquarium bubbler.

Back