what metals does DMG drop from solution?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaughlin79

I’ve been reading a lot on DMG and using it for refining palladium, but what I can’t find is if i have,let’s say, a solution that is saturated with copper,is the dmg going to copper dmg?

If so I will have to ask a question in a different part of forum. Thanks

its somewhere on this forum, but in acidic solutions, it is a test for palladium. In Basic solutions, its a test for nickle. Its pretty selective from what i understand, so I don't believe it reacts with anything else in a way that gives a color indication.

Could be wrong but I know it detects nickel so that may well precipitate as well, my opinion is cement solutions with copper if you really have to mess with PGM solutions :shock:

Nickv that’s my problem,I did drop with copper but my solution is so saturated with copper that I’m getting white copper chloride forming and when I add HCl to dissolve it and to get the pgms to start cementing again,the palladium dissolves Andy solution stays reddish orange to coffee colored. Some where in between those colors.

Thanks to everyone’s comments.

Am I understanding that the ph has to be at the 4 or 5 that was mentioned above or. I thing happens?
I honestly didn’t check the pH but when I added the DMG it looks like a yellow precipitate was forming but it actually turned out to be white and the more DMG I added sometimes I would get him a red precipitate that went away fast. And in one that was complexly saturated with copper I got a blue green precipitate which could very well been the yellow precipitation being mixed with the copper chloride.

I’ve been needing to get a ph tester but all I can find are swimming pool strips and they only read in a certain range. I had some strips that they don’t sell anymore and I ran out and never got anymore.

Obtain, pH=4-4.5 buffer solution, or K acetate solution (may precipitate Pd by itself if solution is rich)

Back