Success! Recovering from plastic goo

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertho

Supporting Member
About a year ago I made a big mess when I was dissolving solder on PCBs in hydrochloric acid. There were contact enclosures on the PCB and I tested a few without any problems. Then I made big batch. Unfortunately there were other types of connector materials and they dissolved and coated everything in a stick gooey mess.

Today I have been experimenting with 99%% acetic acid and 35% hydrogen peroxide, equal amount mixed. I saw that suggestion here on GRF but I do not remember who suggested it.

It is too early to say how I like the process but it looks promising. Less nasty fumes and no heating required.

The great discovery: It dissolved the sticky plastic mess! I am very happy about that. Now I can finish that batch that I started a long time ago.

Warning: It starts very slowly but an hour or so later it takes off, gets hot and boils over so be careful and have a suitable extra catch vessel. I need to refine the process to be stable. I suspect it was aggravated by the plastic content.
I found great prices and service on chemicals at http://www.dudadiesel.com/
Bertho

Back